Columbia University President Lee C. Bollinger, a member of the CASA board, joined Califano in welcoming Dr. Foster to the University community, noting, "CASA's work is of great importance not only to all of us at Columbia, but to our entire nation and to all those who face the tragic and costly consequences of substance abuse and addiction."
"Bill has the varied experience and background in management and public policy, as well as the knowledge of CASA's history and superb staff, that makes him the ideal person to lead CASA and shape its future as the premier organization in its field," Califano added. "The board is fortunate that he has accepted this challenge."
In response, Foster said, "Substance abuse and addiction is the nation's most pervasive, yet unaddressed, personal and public health concern facing us today. The tendrils of this abuse and illness corrupt so many lives. Our nation and people must engage this problem openly and with effect. As we do so, we become a healthier, more robust people, better prepared to face the challenges before us as we move into this most complex century. I am honored that the Board of CASA has invited me back to the Columbia family to lead this vital and unique organization."
CASA is the only national organization that brings together under one roof all the professional disciplines needed to study and combat all types of substance abuse as they affect all aspects of society. CASA and its staff of some 60 professionals has issued 70 reports and white papers, published three books, conducted demonstration programs focused on children, families and schools at 224 sites in 87 cities and counties in 34 states plus Wa
SOURCE The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse (CASA) at Columbia University
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine news :
1. Retired NYPD Lieutenants William E. Keegan, Jr., Owen McCaffery and John Moran and Tom Thees, a former COO in the financial industry, announce today the formation of H.E.A.R.T (Healing Emergency Aid Response Team) 911.
2. National Council of Negro Women (NCNW) Partners With Sherwin-Williams to Target Lead Risks in Neglected Housing
3. William Moore Appointed to IRIDEX Board of Directors
4. Exponent to Present at the Upcoming Sidoti & Company Investor Forum and William Blair Small-Cap Growth Stock Conference
5. AXA Equitable Life Insurance Co. Hires William McDermott to Lead Corporate Retirement Planning Business
6. AMICAS to Present at William Blair & Company Small Cap Growth Stock Conference
7. Matrixx Initiatives, Inc. to Present at the William Blair & Company Small-Cap Growth Stock Conference
8. iCAD to Present at William Blair & Company Small-Cap Growth Stock Conference
9. Presentation Time Correction: Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Presents at 12:00pm, ET Tomorrow (Oct. 3) at William Blair & Company Small-Cap Growth Stock Conference
10. VNUS Medical Technologies Presents at William Blair Small-Cap Growth Stock Conference
11. Prominent Cosmetic Dentist Dr. William Hoskyns Joins Leading Atlanta Practice