Rh-Negative Blood Types - Patients Need YOU
NEW YORK, July 6 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- New York Blood Center (NYBC) and its divisions in Manhattan, Long Island, Hudson Valley, Brooklyn / Staten Island, and New Jersey call upon the community to please give blood this month. Rh-negative blood is particularly needed immediately, but healthy people of all blood types and ethnicities are encouraged to donate today to help make certain that our region is prepared for predictable blood needs and any unexpected contingencies.
People with Rh-negative blood, including A-, B- and O-, comprise just 15% of the population yet their blood can be safely transfused to the remaining 85% of the population.
Most notably, people with O-negative blood are known as "universal donors" because their blood can be transfused into anyone. Type O-negative blood is found in just 6 percent of the population, but is used more often by patients with other blood types, especially in emergency rooms and trauma situations. It is used in exchange transfusions for newborn babies and pregnant women, and for premature babies in intensive care units.
Every two seconds, someone needs blood. But with schools closed for the summer and workers away on vacation, there are far fewer people available to donate blood. H1N1 related school closures in late spring meant the loss of hundreds of blood donations, and recession-related layoffs and business closings continue to constrain access to available pools of potential blood donors.
Hospital use of blood products remains high -- due to surgeries, emergencies and care of cancer patients. About one in seven people entering a hospital needs blood. Summer is also "trauma season" for most emergency rooms.
You can help patients in need by donating blood or organizing a blood drive within your community, house of worship, or place of work. People can give blood every 56 days.
To donate blood, please call:
Toll Free: 1-800-933-2566
To schedule your very own blood drive please contact:
Queens/Long Island Karen Muscolino 516-478-5038 Kmuscolino@nybloodcenter.org Manhattan Patty Killeen 718-752-4690 Pkilleen@nybloodcenter.org Brooklyn/Staten Island Wally Farraj 718-797-7825 Wfarraj@nybloodcenter.org Bronx/Hudson Valley Andrea Cefarelli 914-784-4639 Acefarelli@nybloodcenter.org New Jersey Marie Forrestal 732-220-7184 Mforrestal@nybloodcenter.org
If you cannot donate but still wish to participate in bringing lifesaving products to those in need, please consider volunteering at a local blood drive.
Any company, community organization, place of worship, or individual may host a blood drive. NYBC also offers special community service scholarships for students who organize community blood drives during the summer. Blood donors receive free mini-medical exams on site including information about their temperature, pulse rate, blood pressure and hemoglobin level. Eligible donors include those people at least age 16 (with parental permission or consent), who weigh a minimum of 110 pounds, are in good health and meet all Food & Drug Administration and NY or NJ State Department of Health donor criteria. People over 75 may donate with a doctor's note.
About New York Blood Center:
New York Blood Center (NYBC) is one of the nation's largest non-profit, community-based blood centers. NYBC has been providing blood, transfusion products and services to patients in greater New York since 1964. NYBC is also home to the Lindsley F. Kimball Research Institute and the National Cord Blood Program at the Howard P. Milstein National Cord Blood Center, the world's largest public cord blood bank. NYBC provides medical services and programs (Clinical, Transfusion, and Hemophilia Services) through our medical professionals and transfusion medicine physicians.
Contact: Leslie Gonzalez firstname.lastname@example.org (212) 570-3304 Office (646) 342-3038 Mobile
|SOURCE New York Blood Center|
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved