1 in 6 house fires are blamed on faulty heating equipment
SATURDAY, Jan. 10 (HealthDay News) -- Don't let colder temperatures put you at a greater risk of a home heating accident, such as a fire or carbon monoxide poisoning.
The National Fire Protection Association reports that heating equipment is the cause of one of every six fires in the home. Space heaters caused a third of these incidents, resulting in three-fourths of home-heating-related deaths.
At the same time, U.S. fire departments have been responding to an increasing number of non-fire, carbon monoxide incidents in recent years. Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless but deadly gas that can come from fuels burned incompletely in space heaters, fireplaces, generators or even cooking equipment.
Robert Emery, vice president for safety, health, environment and risk management at the University of Texas School of Public Health, advises people to limit their chances of home-heating tragedy by following these tips:
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has more about preventing carbon monoxide poisoning.
-- Kevin McKeever
SOURCE: University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, news release, Dec. 5, 2008
All rights reserved