ORLANDO, Fla. At the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) National Conference & Exhibition in Orlando, the AAP will provide resources, workshops and presentations about what Affordable Care Act (ACA) implementation means for children and pediatricians.
The AAP has worked to champion the law's child health provisions from its onset, and pediatricians are dedicated to working with families and parents as it takes effect at the state level. Pediatricians play an important role educating parents about what the ACA means for children and families, which is reflected in this year's National Conference & Exhibition program:
- Pediatrician Anne Edwards, MD, FAAP, chair of the AAP Committee on State Government Affairs, will present a plenary address 11:10 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 27, titled "The 3 Year Visit: Checking Up on the Affordable Care Act."
- At 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26, Dr. Edwards will lead a workshop with Michael McManus, MD, MPH, FAAP, a member of the AAP Committee on State Government Affairs, titled "How Will Insurance Exchanges Work for Pediatrics?"
Members of the media who wish to attend either session should first check in at the press room, W203B, of the Orange County Convention Center, for media credentials.
"Children are better off because of the Affordable Care Act, and pediatricians are dedicated to helping parents understand the options available to them and their children as implementation continues at the state level," said Dr. Edwards. "As we turn to the next few months, pediatricians stand ready in every state to help make sure that our patients and their families are receiving the care they need when they need it."
Starting Oct. 1, 2013, as part of ACA implementation, a six-month open enrollment period began for individuals and families to sign up for health insurance in the new marketplaces (formerly known as exchanges) in every state. The marketplaces will allow millions of people to compare options and choose which type of insurance plan will work best for their family.
Dr. Edwards is chair of pediatrics at Park Nicollet Health Services in Minneapolis where she also practices general pediatrics serving an urban, immigrant community. She earned her medical degree, completed a pediatric residency, and was chief resident at the University of Minnesota where she continues to hold an adjunct faculty position. Dr. Edwards also serves as a liaison to the Committee on Federal Government Affairs and Subcommittee on Access. She is a past president of the Minnesota Chapter of the AAP and currently serves as the chapter's policy committee chair.
Additional ACA resources
- Members of the media can access the AAP's Affordable Care Act press kit and visit the press room, W203B, on site in Orlando to request interviews with ACA experts.
- Conference attendees receive a DVD that includes English and Spanish Public Service Announcements and flyers for pediatric offices on the importance of Medicaid and CHIP. These resources are provided through the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services "Connecting Kids to Coverage" initiative, for which the AAP is a national partner.
- At the AAP Resource Center in the exhibition hall, the AAP offers materials and experts who can provide information on ACA implementation.
- On http://www.aap.org/ACAmarketplace, pediatricians and the general public can find state-specific fact sheets on how to navigate the new marketplaces to find the right insurance plan.
- On http://www.healthychildren.org/ACAmarketplace, parents can find similar information in English and in Spanish, as well as additional resources explaining health insurance terminology.
Related medicine news :1
. The Affordable Care Act could have negative consequences for elderly recipients2
. Fatal bridge collapse spurs new, affordable, instant warnings3
. Assessing the cost of the Affordable Care Act and expanding Medicaid4
. myMEDholiday Comes up with a New Highly Credible Informative Website for Users Looking for Affordable Healthcare Centers Abroad5
. The Goodie Boxes - Providing Affordable Meals for Families begins Operations in the Phoenix, Scottsdale, Arizona Area6
. Vanderbilt study examines Affordable Care Acts impact on uncompensated care7
. Delta Travel Center in Valencia Makes Vacations in Jamaica More Affordable8
. Thousand Oak's Crystal Travel Center Negotaties a New Deal to Enable Members Affordable Vacations in Paradise9
. New, Affordable Effervescent Energy C Drink Mix with Electrolytes Available from Swanson Health Products10
. MedicationDiscountCard.com Makes Androgel More Affordable Nationwide11
. New report: State action on Affordable Care Acts 2014 health insurance market reforms