nking at the bottom include Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and West Virginia.
In addition to health goals, the report looked at 68 federal health policies. Medicaid coverage for breast and cervical cancer treatment and participation in the Food Stamp Nutrition and Education Program were the only of these goals that were met.
Nine states met a majority of the goals, with California, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York meeting the most. The four states that met the fewest were Alabama, Idaho, Mississippi and South Dakota, according to the report.
The hope is that provisions of the Affordable Care Act, signed into law by President Barack Obama in March, will slowly improve the grade nationally and within each state, the report said.
For example, four of the Medicaid eligibility and enrollment goals will be met when new Medicaid eligibility rules take effect in 2014. In addition, coverage of preventive services by private insurers, such as Pap smears, mammograms and osteoporosis screenings, have been met by mandating the coverage of such services with no cost-sharing, which became effective in September, the report noted.
Other findings in the report include:
- One in five women between the ages of 18 and 64 is uninsured, the highest rate since the U.S. Census Bureau began reporting such data.
- No state met the Healthy People 2010 goal of 100 percent of women having health insurance.
- Almost 50 percent of all pregnancies are unintended, missing the goal of reducing unintended pregnancies to 30 percent or less.
- Only seven states require that prenatal care services be covered in all individual and group health plans.
- Only eight states require private insurers to cover contraceptives.
- Nineteen states restrict private insurers' coverage of abortion services.
- The District of Columbia has the highest heart disease death rate at 174.8 deaths per 100,000.
Page: 1 2 3 Related medicine news :1
All rights reserved
. FDA Failing to Monitor Safety of Medical Devices: Report 2
. Jill Greenfield Comments on the Numerous Failings Highlighted by the Griffin Inquiry into Godstone Farm E.Coli 0157 Outbreak3
. Pew Report: Louisiana Failing to Address Childrens Dental Health Crisis4
. Pew Report: Pennsylvania Failing to Address Childrens Dental Health Crisis5
. Pew Report: New Jersey Failing to Address Childrens Dental Health Crisis6
. Pew Report: Florida Failing To Address Childrens Dental Health Crisis7
. NEJM Publishes Trial Results Demonstrating Bard FLAIR Endovascular Stent Graft Is Superior To Balloon Angioplasty For Failing Dialysis Grafts8
. U.S. Government Sets New Health Goals for 2020 9
. Full reproductive and sexual health rights essential for maternal health goals10
. Sex, drugs and moral goals: Penn study of reproductive strategies and recreational drug use11
. Reducing Energy Consumption Dramatically: Green IT Conference Addresses Administration's Goals