The Topping Out ceremony ushers in a new phase of construction of the hospital. With the steel "skeleton" of the main patient tower complete, construction crews will now turn their focus to the exterior "skin" of the building.
When it opens its doors in late 2011 the hospital will consist of approximately 630,000 square feet of interior space, with 237 single patient rooms, state-of-the-art emergency services, operating suites and a comprehensive array of ambulatory services and laboratories.
The building will also incorporate many findings and best practices of evidence-based healthcare design, which has demonstrated how the layout of patient rooms, floor configuration and numerous other design details can improve patient care.
Located on Route One, between Scudders Mill Road and Plainsboro Road, the new facility is located about 2.5 miles from the center of Princeton and will take the place of the current hospital on Witherspoon Street in Princeton, founded in 1919.
More than just a replacement for that legacy facility, the new hospital will serve as the hub of a 160-acre health campus that will include uses for: medical offices, health education, assisted living residential, skilled nursing and rehabilitation, pediatric services and passive recreation in the form of a 32-acre public park along the Millstone River.
The decision to relocate UMCP emerged after the hospital conducted extensive analysis of the feasibility of renovating and expanding the current downtown Princeton facility. Members of the community and local government officials were involved in dozens of public meetings devoted to determining a course of action that would allow the hospital to fulfill its mission and meet the chan
|SOURCE Princeton HealthCare System|
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved