EUGENE, Ore., Jan. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- The Tech-Aid Institute, the award-winning software group gaining national recognition for its unprecedented work, has released another interactive CD-ROM for people with intellectual disabilities: Live Safe™: Preventing HIV/AIDS for Women with Intellectual Disabilities.
With AIDS being the fifth leading cause of death among people aged 25 - 44 in the United States, this interactive computer program helps women with intellectual and learning disabilities, autism, and down syndrome understand the potentially life threatening dangers of HIV & AIDS as it reveals the facts and myths about how HIV is transmitted. Intended for mature viewers because of its frank sexual discussions, users are also taught the importance of HIV testing, risks associated with unprotected sex and prevention strategies that include abstinence. The program also demonstrates proper use and storage of condoms, and includes a guide with teaching points so users, parents, and care-givers can follow the program content.
Preventing HIV/AIDS for Women with Intellectual Disabilities is part of Tech-Aids' "Live Safe™" series that focuses on critical public health issues. The software company showcased its award-winning CD-ROM, Live Smart Live Safe: Preventing Respiratory Illness at the Oregon Special Olympics Youth Games last fall. This interactive CD-ROM teaches people with intellectual disabilities how to protect themselves from germs and other viral epidemics like the swine flu, take their temperature and other potentially life-saving measures.
The Tech-Aid Institute was also recently honored with three Bronze Telly Awards, for their project, Live Smart Live Safe: Preventing Respiratory Illness. The Founder and President of Tech-Aid, Dr. Jennifer Wells'/>"/>
SOURCE Tech-Aid Institute
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine news :
1. Dr. Robert D. Willix Jr. M.D., CEO and CMO of Cenegenics(R) Medical Institute of Boca Raton Appointed Chief Medical Officer of Cenegenics(R) Medical Institute, Worlds Largest Preventive Age Management Practice
2. The Eye Institute of Utah Hosts World Renowned Cataract Surgeons: In Economically Trying Times, Nine Fortunate Patients Receive State of the Art Cataract Lenses
3. ALS Therapy Development Institute Receives $1.6 Million Grant From the Department of Defense for Lou Gehrigs Disease Research
4. Better Hearing Institute Publishes First Comprehensive Guide to Financial Assistance for Hearing Aids
5. Institute of Medicine recommends stricter resident duty hour regulations to prevent medical errors
6. The Black AIDS Institute Kicks Off Its National Platform to Build Black AIDS Awareness
7. The Black AIDS Institute Kicks Off Its National Platform to Build Black AIDS Awareness in Atlanta, GA
8. Vend Marketing Institute Calls on Congress to Modify Calorie Disclosure Requirement: Supports Existing Disclosure Which Is More Complete and Effective
9. Mimotopes Awarded a Major Peptide Library Supply Agreement by La Jolla Institute for their Studies Screening Dengue and Tuberculosis Pathogens
10. Aging Institute Reveals 2010 Trends
11. Laser Spine Institute (LSI) Supports Jingle Bell Run