Registration now open for a more rewarding challenge
Jenkintown, PA (PRWEB) January 13, 2009 -- Last week thousands of Americans committed to a variety of New Year's resolutions and according to USA.gov, losing weight and getting fit are among the top promises people make to themselves. A more unique and motivating way for many of those eager to fulfill their vows is to lace up their tennis shoes and walk in the Breast Cancer 3-Day. In its sixth year, the Breast Cancer 3-Day, a 60-mile walk that takes place over three consecutive days, will raise millions of dollars and heighten awareness of the disease affecting one in eight women in the U.S. during their lifetime.
In addition to the cause and fitness motivation, the Breast Cancer 3-Day provides an opportunity to team up with friends through training and fundraising that starts now and ends with their three-day, 60-mile journey. Located in 15 cities nationwide, many participants also find it's a great opportunity to visit a part of the country they've never seen before or experience one of their favorite cities through a whole new perspective. Because of increased interest in long-distance endurance walks that benefit a cause, the series added a walk in Denver in 2009.
The 2009 Breast Cancer 3-Day series will take place in the following locations on the dates outlined below:
The 2008 Breast Cancer 3-Day series consisted of more than 37,000 participants in 14 cities across the country raising more than $100 million in one year in the breast cancer movement. Since its inception in 2003, the event has raised more than $400 million. The Breast Cancer 3-Day appeals to women and men of all fitness levels who are committed to a deeper challenge in the fight against breast cancer.
About the Breast Cancer 3-Day Series
Taking place in 15 cities nationwide, the Breast Cancer 3-Day is a series of three-day, 60-mile walks that raise millions of dollars for breast cancer research, education, and community health programs. Breast Cancer 3-Day participants raise a minimum of $2,300 and walk an average of 20 miles a day, educating tens of thousands of people about breast health with every step. As the primary beneficiary of the Breast Cancer 3-Day, Susan G. Komen for the Cure® receives 85 percent of net proceeds, and the remaining 15 percent goes to the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund. The Breast Cancer 3-Day is presented by Energizer. The 2009 national sponsors of the Breast Cancer 3-Day are New Balance, LaCroix, and Pepperidge Farm. Please visit www.The3Day.org or call 800.996.3DAY for more information.
About Susan G. Komen for the Cure®
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever. In 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and launched the global breast cancer movement. Today, Komen for the Cure is the world's largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists fighting to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures. Thanks to events like the Komen Race for the Cure® and the Breast Cancer 3-Day, the organization has invested more than $1.2 billion to fulfill its promise, becoming the largest source of nonprofit funds dedicated to the fight against breast cancer in the world. For more information about Komen for the Cure, breast health or breast cancer, visit www.komen.org or call 1.877 GO KOMEN.
About the National Philanthropic Trust (NPT)
National Philanthropic Trust (NPT) is a public charity dedicated to providing philanthropic expertise to donors, foundations, and financial institutions, enabling them to realize their philanthropic aspirations. Founded in 1996, NPT is among the 100 fastest growing charities and one of the top 35 grant makers in the United States with $660 million in assets under management. Since its inception, NPT has raised over $1.5 billion in charitable assets, and made over 32,000 grants to U.S. and international charities totaling $900 million. NPT is led by a national board of trustees and a team of professionals with more than 200 years of philanthropic experience. For more information, visit www.nptrust.org.
Note to media:
For more information about the Breast Cancer 3-Day, please contact
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/Breast_Cancer/3-Day/prweb1856384.htm
Copyright©2009 Vocus, Inc.
All rights reserved