4. Hands Off -- regardless of the urge, keep your hands off your pimples! By pushing and prodding, you are actually pushing bacteria deeper, causing more inflammation and potentially scarring the skin.
5. Stop Smoking -- in addition to its negative, carcinogenic effects on your body and overall health, smoking causes premature aging. Cigarette smoke contains more than 4000 toxins, many of which are absorbed directly into the bloodstream and are taken by the blood into the skin's structure. Smoking also thins the skin, reduces collagen and contributes to an unflattering "apple" body shape in women.
6. More Sleep, Less Stress -- we don't live in a utopian society, so it's tough to manage enough sleep to make a difference in our stress levels. As one of the biggest impairments to skin care is stress, ease into a good night's sleep by turning off the television, taking a warm bath, dimming the lights and practicing breathing exercises.
7. Sun Protection -- the sun is not your skin's friend. Use sunscreen every day, rain or shine. To determine the quality of a sunscreen, check the SPF number on the label (those with SPF 15 or greater yield the best results), and the active ingredient label to make sure it has UVA-blocking elements such as titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, or anything in the avobenzone family.
8. Cost Per Ounce -- shop for skin care the way that you shop for food, by looking at the cost per ounce. What you'll find is that products from spas and salons are a great bargain as they include complimentary consultations with a licensed esthetics expert, which you won't receive when buying products at grocery, drug or discount stores.
9. Don't Buy Products Based on Price -- while we're on the subject of
money, just because a product is expensive, does not mean it's amazing. On the
other hand, a product tha
|SOURCE Skin Authority|
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved