Video features HHS Deputy Director of the Office on Women's Health
WASHINGTON, May 13 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Southern AIDS Living Quilt (www.livingquilt.org), a unique web project that collects and shares video stories of women on the front lines of the fight against HIV/AIDS, today announced that it has posted its 100th patch, featuring Frances Ashe-Goins, Deputy Director of the Office on Women's Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The milestone comes as the nation recognizes National Women's Health Week.
In her video, Ms. Ashe-Goins, a registered nurse with a master's degree in public health education, urges women to "know your status; it's not a big thing," adding that all it takes is "a quick swab, and you can find out your results. Once you have that, it's like a deep breath, because you have clarity and you have knowledge." Ms. Ashe-Goins notes that all women should have an HIV test as part of their routine annual checkup.
"We are honored to have Ms. Ashe-Goins add her voice to the Living Quilt, particularly during National Women's Health Week," said Patrick Packer, Executive Director of the Southern AIDS Coalition. "She, like so many others on the Quilt, is a leader in the effort to raise awareness of the impact of HIV and AIDS on women. Ms. Ashe-Goins' video underscores the importance of making HIV testing a routine part of preventative health care. It is appropriate, that during a week focusing on women's health, that Ms. Ashe-Goins urges women to know their HIV status."
National Women's Health Week began on Mother's Day and will be celebrated until May 16. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services initiative encourages women to take simple steps for a longer, healthier, and happier life. According to the program's website (www
SOURCE Southern AIDS Coalition
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine news :
1. Scientists puzzled by severe allergic reaction to cancer drug in the middle Southern US
2. USAID Assistant Administrator Hess Travels to Southern Africa
3. Southern Research Institutes Neurodegenerative Disease Drug Discovery Program Receives National Institute of Mental Health Funding
4. MIT Holding, Inc. signs partnership agreement with Georgia Southern University
5. Angel Flight West Recognizes Southern California Pilots at 24th Anniversary
6. Southern California Wildfires Continue to Threaten Residential Areas
7. NuVasive Cancels 10/24/07 Investor Reception Due to Concerns Over Southern California Fires
8. VA Remains Open for Care for Southern California Vets
9. Red Cross Receives $250,000 From Wal-Mart to Assist With Southern California Wildfire Relief Efforts
10. The Salvation Army Responds to Immediate Needs of Survivors and Relief Workers in Southern California Wildfires
11. CNA/NNOC Nurse Volunteers Deployed to Southern California Firestorm