ARLINGTON, Va., June 1 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Senators Arlen Specter (D-Pa.) and John Cornyn (R-Tex.) will speak to more than 250 providers of home medical equipment and services during the American Association for Homecare Washington Legislative Conference, June 2-3, 2009 at the Capital Hilton.
During the week, homecare providers attending the conference will recommend that Congress institute fundamental reforms to Medicare policy for durable medical equipment and improve Medicare program integrity in order to preserve access to quality home medical equipment (HME) and services.
These reforms and improvements will assure beneficiaries' access to the cost-effective mobility and respiratory equipment and services and the medical supplies that allow them to remain in their homes and out of more expensive, institutional settings.
Highlights, below, all take place at the Capital Hilton, 1001 16th Street, NW, Washington, D.C.
TUESDAY, June 2, 2009
- U.S. Senator John Cornyn (R-Tex.), member of the Senate Finance Committee will discuss legislation to reform health care and improve anti-fraud efforts in Medicare (8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.).
- Tom Barker, partner, Foley Hoag and former general counsel, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services will discuss Medicare issues (12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.).
- Jon Glaudemans, senior vice president, Avalere Health, will discuss the impact of federal budget issues on the durable medical equipment sector (1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.).
- Maryan Amaral, Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts 2009, will discuss her perspective as a patient advocate (2:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.).
WEDNESDAY, June 3, 2009
- U.S. Senator Arlen Specter (D-Pa.), will discuss health care reform (9:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.)
At 10:00 a.m., attendees will go to Capitol Hill to meet with their Senators and Representatives.
Specific recommendations to Congress from the American Association for Homecare will include the following:
- Prevent fraud and abuse in the durable medical equipment sector by enacting the aggressive 13-point Anti-Fraud Legislative Action Plan that focuses on preventing fraud and abuse before it happens. (See www.aahomecare.org/stopfraud.)
- Stop the flawed, anti-competitive bidding plan for durable medical equipment, which will reduce access to care and put most providers out of business. (See www.aahomecare.org/competitivebidding.)
- Reform the oxygen therapy benefit in Medicare in order to ensure accurate payments and quality care as long as patients' medical need continues. (See www.aahomecare.org/oxygen.)
- Restore the 9.5 percent cut to the complex rehab (power wheelchair) benefit to ensure quality in this critical, labor-intensive area of Medicare.
The American Association for Homecare represents providers, equipment manufacturers, and other organizations in the homecare community. Members serve the medical needs of millions of Americans who require oxygen equipment and therapy, mobility assistive technologies, medical supplies, inhalation drug therapy, home infusion, and other medical equipment and services in their homes. Membership includes providers of all sizes operating approximately 3,000 locations in all 50 states. (www.aahomecare.org)
Related medicine news :1
|SOURCE American Association for Homecare|
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
. Coalition Commends Senators Baucus, Grassley for Including Prevention, Wellness of Chronic Disease in Recent Paper on Coverage Policy Options2
. Americans United for Life Memo Urges Senators to Consider New Abortion Polling Data Showing Majorities of all Parties Oppose Judicial Activism, Support Abortion Regulations3
. American Life League: Pro-Life Senators Appoint Radically Pro-Abortion Sebelius as H.H.S. Secretary4
. A.L.L. Calls on KS Senators to Stop Sebelius as Confirmation Postponed5
. Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) Applauds Senators Akaka and Burr for Family Caregiver Support Legislation and Pledges to Support the Bill6
. The AACR commends Senators Kennedy and Hutchison on the 21st Century Cancer ALERT Act7
. Susan G. Komen for the Cure(R) Advocacy Alliance Applauds Senators Kennedy, Hutchison for Bipartisan Cancer Alert Act8
. National Patient Advocate Foundation Applauds Senators Lautenberg and Brown and Representatives Schwartz and DeGette for Introduction of Legislation to Protect Health Care Coverage for Children9
. Virginia Faith Leaders Call on Senators Webb & Warner to Support Legislation to Protect Kids from Tobacco10
. Senators Lugar, Dodd, Boxer and Representatives Lee and McCollum Receive GAC Childrens Champion Award11
. Senators Cochran (R-MS), Boxer (D-CA), Brownback (R-KS) and Vitter (R-LA) Add Their Support to Lung Cancer Mortality Reduction Act