In light of recent news on Carbon Monoxide poisonings, Security Choice has released tips on how to recognize and reduce the risk of being exposed to this dangerous gas.
Charlotte, NC (PRWEB) January 12, 2010 - According to the CDC, Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning will send several thousand people to the emergency room this year. The odorless, tasteless gas is created by most fuel-burning appliances and can cause illness and death when inhaled. Luckily, CO poisoning is almost entirely preventable. Security Choice, a leading home security provider, has released the following guidelines on how to stay safe this winter.
Power outages are the most notorious instigators of CO poisoning. When left without electricity, people may use outdoor appliances for indoor energy. Generators, lanterns, grills and camp stoves all create Carbon Monoxide. These appliances require adequate ventilation and should never be used in enclosed or even in partially enclosed spaces. A grill or generator in use near an open window can result in toxic amounts of CO in the home.
Even without a power outage, the risk of CO build up is increased in the winter. Many people rely on fireplaces, room heaters, or gas furnaces to heat their homes, all of which have the potential to create lethal amounts of CO. Fireplace vents and chimneys should be checked regularly for cracks, soot or potential blockages. Furnaces and heating systems should be inspected yearly to ensure proper functioning. Cars should be parked outside, away from open windows or doors, when warming up.
Other culprits of CO gas poisoning are often overlooked. Lawnmowers, chainsaws and any power equipment that uses a motor should not be left running indoors or near an open window. In the kitchen, ovens and ranges should always be used in conjunction with ventilation fans. Oven doors should also never be left open, and foil should never be placed on the floor of an oven to keep it clean.
Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, dizziness, and shortness of breath. People who are asleep or those with alcohol in their system are at higher risk, as symptoms of CO poisoning will be less noticeable to those groups. Even with preventative measures, hidden sources of carbon monoxide may still exist.
For safety purposes, CO detectors should be utilized whenever possible. Many models are available today, including options that can be added on to existing [home alarm systems. For additional home security information, visit www.securitychoice.com/.
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2010/01/prweb3421844.htm.
Copyright©2010 Vocus, Inc.
All rights reserved