NEW YORK, Dec. 31 /PRNewswire/ -- For over a decade, Equinox Fitness Clubs has been known for getting people into ultimate shape. National Director of Group Fitness and Exercise Physiologist Carol Espel offers tips and advice to get even a couch potato started on a fitness routine in 2009.
"The most successful results occur when our goals are gently incorporated into our existing lives," says Espel. "The challenging piece should come in later, once new behavior patterns have been established. In other words, just get off the couch and do something, at least 2-3 times a week initially for whatever length and intensity you can reasonably manage. Most people do too much too soon and end up too sore, injured, or discouraged, and are back at square one before they've left the starting block."
10 TIPS FROM CAROL ESPEL
1. Create your own contract. Write a contract to yourself with your resolutions and all the reasons why you want to keep them, and then sign it! By signing the contract your have committed to yourself that you are going to stick to your resolutions.
2. Make small, attainable goals. If weight loss is your goal then consider starting out with 20 minutes of cardiovascular activity 2-3 times a week, then slowly increase your time to 30 minutes each session. You will begin to see and feel a difference in a few short weeks!
3. Hire a certified personal trainer. Having a trainer will keep you on track and give you the motivation and direction you need to obtain your goals.
4. Clear your shelves and fridge! Throw out all of the junk food in your house; if it isn't in the house you won't be able to eat it when you feel the urge. Replace old snack foods with new ones like cut veggies and fresh fruit.
5. Stay off the scale. Use the way your clothes fit to judge your progress not the bathroom scale. Muscle is denser than fat. You may be losing inches without significant weight loss.
6. Chose an activity that you really enjoy doing. Participating in activities that you enjoy such as walking, riding a bike or going to group exercise classes will not only keep you motivated, but, by mixing them up, will keep boredom from setting in.
7. Make it part of your day. Schedule exercise as if it were lunch. No one likes skipping meals right? Then don't skip your exercise appointment.
8. Motivate yourself by listening to music while you exercise. Putting on your favorite music while you exercise will lift your spirits and put some pep in your step.
9. Exercise with a friend. Having someone that needs you to motivate them as you much as you need motivation helps you both stay on track.
10. Reward yourself. Once you achieve a short-term goal, do something nice for yourself... perhaps buy a new piece of clothing that makes your feel great.
Enjoy the process and arrive at your goals in a timely manner. As your lifestyle changes, your activity and strength will naturally increase and results will come in an easeful and enjoyable progression.
|SOURCE Equinox Fitness Club|
Copyright©2008 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved