Safety experts from Kidde, a leading manufacturer of fire and carbon
monoxide safety products, offers these tips to help protect your family
from CO poisoning:
-- Install at least one UL-listed battery-powered CO alarm or AC-powered
unit with battery backup on each level of your home and near sleeping
-- Never leave your car running in an attached garage or carport.
-- Never use ovens or stoves to heat your home.
-- Never use charcoal or gas grills inside or operate one outdoors near a
window where CO fumes could seep in through a window.
-- Have a licensed professional inspect heating systems and other
fuel-burning appliances annually.
-- Install fuel-burning appliances properly and operate according to the
-- Keep chimneys clear of animal nests, leaves and residue to ensure
proper venting. Have all fireplaces cleaned and inspected annually.
-- Do not block or seal shut the exhaust flues or ducts used by water
heaters, ranges and clothes dryers.
-- Check all carbon monoxide alarms in your home. Do they use the most
accurate sensing technology? Do they need new batteries?
-- Replace CO alarms every seven years to benefit from the latest
Passed by California's legislature in September 2007, CO Awareness Week encourages all schools, fire departments, and other organizations to do their part to educate families about carbon monoxide poisoning. To learn more about carbon monoxide safety or for additional information on CO Awareness Week, visit http://www.knowaboutco.com .
Copyright©2008 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved