Healthy Home Decorating Emerges as Possible Solution for Back Pain Sufferers
Monroe, Mich. (Vocus) March 30, 2010 -- Those with aching backs might want to look at their home décor to help ease the pain. When decorating, most homeowners consider their personal style, color schemes and price range, but many don't take time to consider products that can actually benefit their health.
"More than 80 percent of adults will suffer from back pain at some point in their lives, and treating back pain is often very time consuming and costly," says Dr. Dave David, a board-certified physician. "I encourage my patients to explore treatment options they can incorporate into their homes."
Some easy décor solutions that can help alleviate back pain:
- Use reclining furniture. Seven in 10 doctors are likely to recommend sitting in a reclined position to help alleviate back pain. And, the American Chiropractic Association endorses La-Z-Boy reclining furniture for its back and lumbar support. Reclining offers total support, taking the strain away from the back in a way that sitting up straight or lying flat cannot.
- Get a good bed. The support provided by the bed and mattress at night are key to alleviating back pain. Ensure you have a good, firm mattress for proper support. If a new mattress is out of the question, use a Memory Foam topper. And for severe back pain, adjustable beds can make getting in and out of bed easier and less painful.
- Choose tables of traditional height. Stay away from the trendy bar-height tables that don’t allow you to anchor your feet. These can put added strain on your back while sitting and require extra effort to get in and out of the seated position.
- Find a deep tub. Soaking in a deep, warm tub is a great way to get a dose of the moist heat that is so often recommended for back pain. Whirlpool jets can also provide soothing relief for aching back muscles – just keep the setting low for gentle massaging action.
- Select carpet or decorative padded rugs. Hard floors can be beautiful, but many lack shock absorption beneath the feet. Selecting carpets or rugs can provide another measure of comfort for back pain. If hard floors are a necessity, consider a substance like cork, which is firm but flexible.
- Organize for little reaching. Store heavy items and those you use most often at arm-level to avoid the strain that comes from lifting or bending.
"There are many little things that sufferers of chronic back pain can do for relief at home, from sitting in a recliner to getting a firm mattress and taking a nightly soak in a deep tub,” states Dr. David.
For more back pain relief tips from Dr. David or additional La-Z-Boy product information, visit www.la-z-boy.com/PrescriptionRecline.
Headquartered in Monroe, Mich., La-Z-Boy is one of the world’s leading residential furniture producers. The company manufactures a full line of comfortable products for the living room and family room, including the company’s world-famous recliners, reclining sofas and loveseats, sleep sofas, modular furniture and leather upholstery, as well as stationary sofas, loveseats and chairs. It is a division of La-Z-Boy Incorporated (NYSE: LZB), one of the world’s leading residential furniture producers, marketing furniture for every room of the home. Comfort. It’s what we do. ®
Samantha Frost or Alison Hamer
800/837-7123 or 312/565-3900
*Results are from an internet survey conducted by LCWA Research Group of 300 primary care physicians across the U.S. from July 29-31, 2009.
This information is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Everybody is different, and relief from back pain is not guaranteed.
# # #
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/Lay-Z-Boy/reclining_furniture/prweb3803844.htm.
Related medicine news :1
Copyright©2010 Vocus, Inc.
All rights reserved
. Assurant Specialty Property's Ohio Service Center Earns EPA's ENERGY STAR 2
. Former Kingfisher Regional Hospital Property and Equipment to Sell at Absolute Public Auction3
. New insight into selective binding properties of infectious HIV4
. New Study Reveals Pistachios Have Anti-Inflammatory Properties5
. Nationwide Health Properties, Inc. Announces the Redemption of All Outstanding Shares of 7.75% Series B Cumulative Convertible Preferred Stock6
. Ecumen Building Senior Housing in Apple Valley, Minnesota and Will Manage New Maplewood, Minnesota Property 7
. Drama or reality TV: Do medical shows depict proper first aid for seizures?8
. TV Shows Often Botch Proper Seizure Responses9
. Garden-Grown Rhubarb May Have Anti-Cancer Properties10
. Forest City Announces Joint Venture with Health Care REIT for University Park Life Science Properties11
. Pew Report Finds Majority of States Fail to Ensure Proper Dental Health & Access to Care for Children