AMSTERDAM, Netherlands, Dec. 10 /PRNewswire/ -- Michael Merzenich, PhD, a leading research scientist at the University of California and the Chief Scientist of Posit Science Corporation, gave the plenary lecture today at the opening ceremony of a joint conference of the Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience and the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Science in Amsterdam. His talk, entitled "Cortical Plasticity-Based Therapeutics," presented evidence that neuroplasticity-based training can be a new kind of therapeutic tool used to address a wide variety of conditions from healthy aging to mental illness to dementia to brain injury.
Dr. Merzenich's company, Posit Science, translates the latest breakthroughs in neuroscience into cognitive training software that improves lives. The company's technology has been validated in many randomized controlled trials, and researchers have reported in more than 30 peer-reviewed articles in science and medical journals on numerous benefits, including: more than a doubling of processing speed; gains in memory and other cognitive functions equivalent to more than 10 years; improvements in activities correlated to maintaining independence; lower risk of serious decline in health related quality of life; better driving abilities and lower crash risk.
The Brain Fitness Program Classic(TM) was introduced by Posit Science in 2006 to improve auditory processing and memory. InSight(TM) was introduced by the company this year to improve visual processing and memory. Both programs are available from the company's website www.positscience.com.
The three day conference commemorates the 200th anniversary of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Science. Dr Merzenich will moderate all panel discussions tomorrow.
Dr. Merzenich is Professor Emeritus at the
SOURCE Posit Science Corporation
Copyright©2008 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine news :
1. Positively Conscious: An Enlightened Look At Life
2. Long Term Care Sector Supports and Is Well-Positioned to Advance Health Care Reform, Bolster Economic Stimulus
3. 11.4% Shareholders & Former Executive Management of LCA-Vision Seek Board Representation and Executive Management Positions
4. American Academy of Dermatology Issues Position Statement on Vitamin D
5. MannKind Reports Positive Results from Final Two Pivotal Phase 3 Clinical Studies in Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
6. Largest study of fertility patients shows concerns about embryo disposition
7. Posit Science Featured in Canadian Documentary on the Brain
8. Posit Science Invited to Speak at Johns Hopkins University About Cutting Edge Cognitive Training Interventions
9. Opposition Continues to Grow to Blues Legislation
10. European Committee for Human Medicinal Products (CHMP) Issues Positive Opinion for Once-Daily PREZISTA(R) (Darunavir) as Part of Combination Therapy for Treatment-Naive Adults With HIV-1
11. BET Networks Joins the International Call to Stop the Spread of HIV on World AIDS Day Monday, December 1 with a Special Episode of 106 & PARK Followed by BET News Exclusive ARE YOU POSITIVE?