NEW YORK, Oct. 8 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- "Fluoridation of drinking water is scientifically untenable, and should not be part of a public health initiative or program," says the Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment (CAPE) in a new published statement.
CAPE is Canada's leading voice on environmental health issues.
Against a backdrop of intense opposition to the fluoridation of public drinking water in several communities in Alberta, Ontario and Quebec, CAPE asserts:
A) fluoridation is unlikely to be the cause of the cavity decline in Europe and North America,
B) the potential for fluoride's adverse effects is real, and
C) current evidence points in the direction of caution.
Paul Connett, PhD, Executive Director, Fluoride Action Network says, "CAPE joins a growing list of environmental health experts who have called for an end to the fluoridation of public drinking water.
• Vyvyan Howard, MD, PhD, President, International Society of Doctors for the Environment
• Ken Cook and Richard Wiles, Environmental Working Group
• Lois Gibbs, Center for Health, Environment, and Justice
• Joseph Mercola, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
• Theo Colborn, PhD, co-author, "Our Stolen Future"
• Sam Epstein, MD, Chairman, Cancer Prevention Coalition
• The current and six past Presidents of the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology
• Board of Directors (2007), American Academy of Environmental Medicine
• FIVE Goldman Prize winners.
These are among over 1800 professionals who have signed a statement calling for an end to fluoridation worldwide. See: http://www.FluorideAlert.org/professionals.statement.html.
According to Connett, "Citizens facing well-financed efforts to
fluoridate their communities need to know that US governm
|SOURCE Fluoride Action Network|
Copyright©2008 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved