WASHINGTON, Aug. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- Even while Consumer Reports is showing hospitals owned and operated by physicians among the best in the country, some in Congress are trying to shut them down in the name of "healthcare reform."
The independent testing and research organization released a new study last week considering the comments of over one-million patients around the country. Overwhelmingly, Consumer Reports found that patients prefer the quality of care received at physician owned and operated hospitals, supporting previous independent studies including federal government data available at the CMS Hospital Compare website.
"Physician owned and operated hospitals are clearly among the best in America," said Molly Sandvig, Executive Director of Physician Hospitals of America (PHA). "It is clear that the only reason physician hospitals are being attacked is to take away competition in the hospital market place. President Barack Obama acknowledges that competition is healthy in the insurance industry - the same absolutely holds true for hospitals."
Sandvig adds, "This survey should have a significant impact on anyone seriously considering patient satisfaction and quality care as true concerns in healthcare. It is neither logical nor acceptable for Congress to do away with a health care option that citizens have consistently said they prefer," said Sandvig.
Sandvig notes that physician owned hospitals were ranked as the #1 hospital in 19 states - adding "This is truly noteworthy considering that approximately 20 states do not have physician owned hospitals."
Looking at the full report and considering every state in which physician hospitals exist, the following are the significant results:
- Arkansas - the top 2 are Physician owned hospitals; plus 4 of the top 7 are Physician owned hospitals
- Arizona - the top 1 is a Physician owned hospital; plus 4 of the top 5 are Physician owned hospitals
- California - the top 2 are Physician owned hospitals
- Colorado - the top 1 is a Physician owned hospital
- Idaho - the top 2 are Physician owned hospitals; plus 3 of the top 4 are Physician owned hospitals
- Indiana - the top 2 are Physician owned hospitals; plus 4 of the top 5 are Physician owned hospitals
- Kansas - the top 5 are Physician owned hospitals; plus 10 of the top 13 are Physician owned hospitals
- Louisiana - the top 9 hospitals are all Physician owned hospitals
- Montana - the top 1 is a Physician owned hospital, plus 2 of the top 4 are Physician owned hospitals
- North Carolina - the top 1 is a Physician owned hospital
- Nebraska - the top 2 hospitals are Physician owned hospitals
- New Mexico - the top 1 is a Physician owned hospital
- Nevada - the top 1 is a Physician owned hospital
- Ohio - the top 2 are Physician owned hospitals
- Oklahoma - the top 1 is a Physician owned hospital, plus 8 of the top 10 are Physician owned hospitals
- South Dakota - 5 of the top 6 are Physician owned hospitals
- Texas - the top 3 are Physician owned hospitals, plus 16 of the top 26 are Physician owned hospitals
- Utah - the top 1 is a Physician owned hospital
- Washington - the top 1 is a Physician owned hospital
- Wisconsin - the top 2 are Physician owned hospitals
Other physician owned and operated hospitals also rank in the top numbers in these and other states - additional data is available from Consumer Reports.
Physician Hospitals of America (PHA) is the national trade association representing American hospitals owned and operated by physicians themselves. PHA is on the web at: http://www.physicianhospitals.org
Follow PHA on Twitter at: http://www.twitter.com/physicianhosp
Available Topic Expert(s): For information on the listed expert(s), click appropriate link.
Molly Sandvig, JD | https://profnet.prnewswire.com/Subscriber/ExpertProfile.aspx?ei=83748
Related medicine news :1
|SOURCE Physician Hospitals of America|
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
. Increased distance to physician associated with thicker skin cancer at diagnosis2
. Broad-based group of physicians calls for improvement in stroke treatment3
. Latest DES Analysis Stresses Importance of Physicians Well-Trained in Implantation Technique and Patient Follow-Up4
. Psychiatrists are the least religious of all physicians5
. Physician Skin Care Specialist Says Proposed New Rules for Sunscreen Products Will Better Protect the Public6
. One of the Largest Post-WHI Physician Surveys Shows More Education is Needed: Patient Misinformation About Hormone Therapy Remains High7
. Texas Largest Physician Carrier Announces 5th Successive Rate Cut on Anniversary of Lawsuit Reform8
. Maimonides Expands Circulation of Physicians Practice Journal to Staten Island Doctors9
. Scientists, physicians present latest findings in personalized cancer treatment and prevention10
. NNN Healthcare/Office REIT Acquires St. Mary Physicians Center in Long Beach, California11
. Physician Team at Northwestern Memorial Performs Rare Oral Gallbladder Removal