Other highlights of data submitted through PA-PSRS during the calendar year 2007 are:
-- 512 hospitals, ambulatory surgical facilities and birthing centers were subject to Act 13 reporting requirements. They submitted 211,983 reports of Serious Events and Incidents through PA-PSRS, an increase of 16,151 reports or 13% from 2006.
-- Almost ninety-seven (96.6) percent of all reports were Incidents, in which the patient was not harmed; approximately 3.4% of all reports were Serious Events, which indicates that the patient received some level of harm, ranging from minor, temporary harm to death. Incident reports increased 8% over last
year. Serious Event reports increased 5%.
-- Reports from hospitals accounted for 98.7% of all reports submitted.
-- Women patients were more involved in reports (54.4%) than men (45.6%). Women are more likely to use the healthcare system during childbearing years. They also have a longer life expectancy than men and therefore are using the health system more.
-- Adverse Drug Reactions for women were 63%, while for men they were 37%.
-- Children and adolescent (aged 21 and younger) reports increased by 3.3% in 2007.
-- Patient Falls accounted for 17% of all reports, a decrease from 21% in 2006.
-- While Complications related to Procedures, Treatments or Tests accounted for just 15% of overall reports, they accounted for 44% of reports in which a patient was harmed and 59% of all reports of events resulting in or contributing to a patient's death.
-- Elderly reports have maintained a consistent pattern. More than half of all reports (52.7%) involve elderly (age 65 and over) patients, down slightly from 2006 (53.1%). Elderly patients accounted for 61.2% of Falls in 2007, a drop from 2006 (62.4%). Elderly patients accounted for 73.1% of reports related to Skin Integrity in 2006, this figure increased slightly in 2007 to (73.5%).
|SOURCE Pennsylvania Patient Safety Authority|
Copyright©2008 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved