Heavy Backpacks Are Not the Only Threat to Children's Chiropractic Health
FAIRVIEW, N.J., Sept. 24 /PRNewswire/ -- As the school year starts, it's important for parents to have their children tested for scoliosis. While heavy backpacks represent a threat to children's chiropractic health, many people forget the importance of a simple scoliosis screening.
Because it's not always noticeable, a checkup for scoliosis should be at the top of every parent's back to school to-do list. Scoliosis, a lateral curvature of the spine, isn't caused by carrying a heavy book bag or having poor posture. It is not known what can cause the curvature, but the good news is that the condition, if detected early, can be treated and may not cause permanent disabilities.
"As a chiropractor, I can catch a scoliosis or spinal anomaly in its early stages," says Dr. Michael Arber of the Advanced Physical Medicine Center in Fairview, N.J. "If we diagnose scoliosis in a child's early development years, we can treat it and potentially correct the condition without the need for braces or surgery. The longer a lateral curvature in the spine remains, the more difficult it is to correct."
Because only half of the schools in the U.S. require screenings, it's vital to have a professional give your child a forward-bending test, which is also known as an Adam's test. The screening involves bending over with straight knees and reaching fingertips towards the floor. A health professional then examines the back to look for curvature.
When a child comes to the Advanced Physical Medicine Center, he or she receives a thorough spinal exam. Parents are asked to bring their child's backpack so the chiropractor can show the student how to wear it without causing stress on the spine, Dr. Arber says. "The parents will then be informed as to the health of their child's spine and be given reliable health information. This will show a child how to best protect and maintain their spine," he adds.
Adolescents are the most common age group to experience the most common type of scoliosis, idiopathic scoliosis. While the condition occurs equally in boys and girls, females are more likely to have a progression that requires treatment. Only about 10 percent of children with scoliosis require corrective treatment, such as a brace or surgery. The other 90 percent of children with scoliosis don't require treatment and will have no lasting effects or symptoms from having the curvature.
The Advanced Physical Medicine Center specializes in chiropractic care, physical therapy, pain management and massage therapy. Located in Fairview, N.J., the facility has numerous certified professionals including chiropractors Michael Arber, BS, DC, DAAPM, and David Berk, BS, DC, MS, CCSP. To contact the office, call 201-945-1156 or visit http://www.advancedphysicalmedicinecenter.com.
|SOURCE The Advanced Physical Medicine Center|
Copyright©2007 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved