BRIDGEWATER, N.J., Nov. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- Ortho Biotech Products, L.P. today announced the submission of a new drug application (NDA) to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for trabectedin when administered in combination with DOXIL(R) (doxorubicin HCI liposome injection)for the treatment of women with relapsed ovarian cancer (ROC). If approved, trabectedin combined with DOXIL will provide a new, non-platinum treatment option for these patients in the United States.
The application follows the completion of a multicenter, randomized Phase III study, ET743-OVA-301, one of the largest studies conducted in ROC, comparing the combination of trabectedin and DOXIL to DOXIL alone in 672 patients. The study showed that patients treated with the combination treatment had a statistically significant improvement in the primary endpoint of progression-free survival (PFS, or the length of time during and after treatment in which the disease does not progress) compared to patients treated with DOXIL alone.
"This is a significant milestone in the development of trabectedin, an agent with a novel mechanism of action that holds promise for patients with relapsed ovarian cancer," said Craig Tendler, M.D., Vice President, Medical Affairs, Oncology/ Nephrology, Ortho Biotech Products, L.P. "We are confident in the strength of the data supporting the application and look forward to working with the FDA throughout the regulatory review process."
Relapsed ovarian cancer refers to epithelial carcinoma of the ovary that recurs after treatment. According to the National Cancer Institute (NCI), it is estimated that 21,650 women will be diagnosed with, and 15,520 women will die from ovarian cancer in the U.S. in 2008.
Trabectedin is being developed under a license from PharmaMar, and DOXIL is marketed by Ortho Biotech Products, L.P. in the U.S.
SOURCE Ortho Biotech Products, L.P.
Copyright©2008 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine news :
1. New Orthopedic Oncology Fellowship Program at Mount Clemens Brings Highly Trained Surgeons to State
2. Ferring Pharmaceuticals Promotes William Garbarini to Vice President of New Orthopaedics and Urology Business Unit
3. Dental Implants Effective for Orthodontic Treatment
4. Hanger Orthopedic Group, Inc. Receives Favorable New Code for WalkAide
5. Zimmer Holdings to Collaborate with the American Orthopaedic Association for Funding Post-Graduate Medical Education
6. Dr. Ron Greenspan has Been Selected for the 2008 Best of San Diego Award in the Orthodontists Category by the U.S. Local Business Association
7. Orthodontists Offer Sweet Incentives for Tricky Halloween Treats
8. Hanger Orthopedic Group, Inc. Exceeds Estimates on a 10% Sales Increase and a 28% EPS Increase to $0.23 for the Third Quarter 2008
9. Archus Orthopedics Performs First Facet Replacement Procedure With an Artificial Disc
10. Hanger Orthopedic Group, Inc. Announces Underwritten Public Offering by Shareholder
11. Amy Street, Certified Prosthetist and Orthotist, Joins BridgePoint Medical Partner, Charlotte Orthotic and Prosthetic Center (COPC)