Annual award honors the accomplishments of medical education professionals in Texas.
Houston, TX (PRWEB) May 20, 2009 -- TIAA-CREF, a national financial services group and the leading provider of retirement services in the academic, medical research and cultural fields announced today that it is soliciting statewide nominations for the 2009 TIAA-CREF Distinguished Medical Educator Award (www.tiaa-crefaward.org).
The TIAA-CREF Distinguished Medical Educator Award annually honors teaching physicians, nurses and other healthcare professionals who have a long history of significant contributions to medical education and have both nationally and internationally influenced medical education. Eligible 2009 nominees are medical (teaching physician) or non-medical (nurse, doctorate or equivalent professional designation) professionals who exemplify the highest standards of leadership, guidance and dedication in medical education both professionally and personally.
To honor those who have made long-term investments in the lives of others, TIAA-CREF in partnership with The Health Museum (also known as the John P. McGovern Museum of Health & Medical Science) will recognize the recipient at an award ceremony in December of 2009. The recipient will receive a $10,000 cash honorarium and 13 scholarships will be donated in the recipient's name to children attending The Health Museum's Summer Camps.
The 2009 recipient will follow in the footsteps of the previous recipients:
- 2004 - Dr. Ralph D. Feigin (1938-2008), J.S. Abercrombie Professor of Pediatrics and Chairman of the Department of Pediatrics at the Baylor College of Medicine and the Physician-in-Chief for Texas Children's Hospital;
- 2005 - Dr. Herbert L. Fred, Professor of Medicine at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston;
- 2006 - Dr. Frank C. Arnett, Jr., Professor of Internal Medicine and Elizabeth Bidgood Chair in Rheumatology at The University of Texas Medical School at Houston
- 2007- Dr. Denton A. Cooley, Surgeon-in-Chief and President Emeritus, founder of the Texas Heart Institute; and
- 2008 - Dr. Henry W. Strobel, Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs at The University of Texas Medical School at Houston.
"TIAA-CREF is honored to recognize these educators whose life work advances the greater good," said Tameeka Aviles, Director, Strategic Sales, TIAA-CREF. "Through their contributions to future physicians and nurses, these individuals have had far reaching influence on medical research and education and greatly impacted the quality of healthcare in Texas."
The 2009 steering committee, established to govern the award and evaluate nomination entries, is comprised of some of the industry's top health professionals, including:
- Dr. Michael Speer - Chair of the Steering Committee; Professor of Pediatrics & Ethics, Baylor College of Medicine; Past President of the Houston Academy of Medicine and the Harris County Medical Society; and Medical Staff President, Texas Children's Hospital
- Dr. Bobby R. Alford - Chancellor, Baylor College of Medicine;
- Dr. L. Maximilian Buja - Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs, The University of Texas Heath Science Center at Houston;
- Dr. John C. Baldwin - President, Texas Tech University Health Science Center;
- Dr. Lewis E. Foxhall - Vice President for Health Policy, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center;
- Dr. Willis Maddrey - Executive Vice President for Clinical Affairs, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas;
- Dr. Robert McCallum - Vice President for Academic Affairs, Texas A&M Health Science Center; and
- Dr. Patricia Starck - Dean, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, School of Nursing
The deadline for nominations
is August 15, 2009. To nominate a distinguished medical educator, visit http://www.tiaa-crefaward.org
or contact Amanda Hansen at 713-523-7900 for more information.
TIAA-CREF is a national financial services organization with more than $363 billion in combined assets under management (12/31/08) and the leading provider of retirement services in the academic, research, medical and cultural fields. For information, visit www.tiaa-cref.org.
About The Health Museum
The Health Museum is a member institution of the world-renowned Texas Medical Center and is located in the heart of the Museum District at 1515 Hermann Drive, Houston, TX 77004. For more information about The Health Museum and its programs, please visit www.thehealthmuseum.org or call (713) 521-1515.
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/TIAA-CREF/Medical_Educator_Award/prweb2439894.htm.
Related medicine news :1
Copyright©2009 Vocus, Inc.
All rights reserved
. PA Governor Rendell Announces Latest Nominations and Appointments2
. Shareholder Proposals and Director Nominations Due November 5, 20073
. Nanotech Briefs Announces Call for Nominations for the Fourth Annual Nano 50(TM) Awards4
. OSHA Seeking Nominations for National Advisory Committee on Occupational Safety and Health5
. Cherokee Inspired Comfort Awards Program Call for Nominations6
. Cadient Group Receives Multiple Nominations for 2008 DTC National Advertising Awards7
. Nominations for Outstanding Cancer Survivor Award Being Accepted by Karmanos Cancer Institute Through April 278
. Wanted: Illinois Family Physician of the Year Nominations9
. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Seeking Nominations for Outstanding Senior Advocates10
. Eisai Inc. and the Alzheimers Association Introduce the C.A.R.E. Pharmacy Award and Call for Nominations11
. Nominations Accepted for 2008 Champions of Health Awards