Pick shades with UV protection, and wear them a lot, optometrists urge
SUNDAY, June 21 (HealthDay News) -- Price and style -- not protection from the sun's harmful rays -- are most people's main considerations when buying sunglasses, a new survey has found.
But that's not a good thing, health-wise, says the American Optometric Association, which conducted the survey.
"Overexposure to UV [ultraviolet] rays has been linked to a variety of problems, including age-related cataracts and degeneration of the cornea," Dr. Gregory W. Good, an optometrist and association spokesman, said in a news release from the group. "Other disorders that can occur are abnormal growths on the eye's surface and even sunburn of the eyes. These conditions can cause blurred vision, irritation, redness, tearing, temporary vision loss and, in some instances, blindness."
He recommends that people wear quality sunglasses that offer proper UV protection and a wide-brimmed hat whenever they're outside. Some contact lenses, Good noted, contain a UV blocker that helps protect the eyes.
To prevent UV-related eye damage, the association recommends that people:
- Wear UV-protective eyewear even on cloudy days and in the winter.
- Select quality sunglasses or contact lenses that block out 99 to 100 percent of UV-A and UV-B radiation and screen out 75 to 90 percent of visible light.
- Make sure that sunglass lenses are perfectly matched in color and free of distortions or imperfections.
- Select gray-colored lenses because they reduce light intensity without altering the color of objects, which means they provide the most natural color vision.
- Get regular eye exams to monitor eye health, maintain good vision and keep up-to-date on the latest in UV protection.
It's also especially important, the association said, for young children and teens to have UV-protective eyewear because they
Page: 1 2 Related medicine news :1
All rights reserved
. Not all risk is created equal2
. New Case Study Details How an Illinois Hospital Created a Safe Lifting Team that Dramatically Reduced Injuries, Increased Staff Satisfaction3
. The First Mega-Shelter Arrangement in Oregon Created for Major Disaster Response and Recovery4
. Curbing worlds most fatal diseases: consensus created by health experts offers global prescription5
. Human embryonic stem cell lines created that avoid immune rejection6
. Gaiam Inc., The Leader in Innovative Lifestyle Solutions, Announces New DVD Series Created with Mayo Clinic7
. Proteolix Names Matthew Ferguson to Newly-Created Position of Chief Financial Officer8
. Basis created for directing and filming blood vessels9
. Cancer Stem Cells Created in Lab10
. Not all smoke alarms created equal11
. Hearts Stem Cells Not Created Equally