Comprehensive tutorials on the publicly available ArrayExpress, Allen Brain Atlas and CleanEx databases enable researchers to quickly and effectively use these invaluable resources.
Seattle, WA (PRWEB) August 13, 2009 -- OpenHelix today announced the availability of new tutorial suites on ArrayExpress, Allen Mouse Brain Atlas and CleanEx. ArrayExpress is one of the largest international public repositories for storage and sharing of gene expression and other microarray data. Allen Mouse Brain Atlas, from the Allen Brain Institute is a database of spatially mapped large-scale gene expression data from a genome wide survey of expression patterns in the C57BL/6J adult mouse brain. CleanEx provides an online database of genome-wide gene expression data. These three new tutorials in conjunction with additional OpenHelix tutorials on DAVID, VISTA, GEO, DBTSS, NCBI Entrez and many others, give the researcher an excellent set of training resources to assist in their gene expression research.
The tutorial suites, available for single purchase or through a low- priced yearly subscription to all OpenHelix tutorials, contain an online, narrated, multi-media tutorial, which runs in just about any browser connected to the web, along with slides with full script, handouts and exercises. These tutorials will teach users:
- to query the archive of ArrayExpress for records of experiments, arrays, and protocols, and to export data
- to query for expression profiles of genes, and identify groups of genes with similar expression profiles
- to find conditions under which a gene is differentially expressed, and to find genes differentially expressed under certain conditions
Allen Brain Atlas
- to access the Allen Reference Atlas, atlas legend, and structure ontology
- to perform effective gene expression searches of the Allen Mouse Brain Atlas
- to locate gene expression image datasets from the search results using the List View and Thumbnail Views
- how to use the Single and Multiple Image Viewers
- how to download and use the Brain Explorer application
- to find information on transcript abundance and expression targets by gene names
- to extract numerical expression data from CleanEx
- to search for datasets or subsets representing biological conditions of interest, using MeSH terms
- to identify over- or under-expressed genes in a dataset, and examine the expression pattern of these genes in other datasets
- to identify genes whose expression levels correlate with a biological condition across multiple datasets
With the tutorials, researchers can quickly learn to effectively and efficiently use these resources. The scripts, handouts and other materials can also be used as a reference or for training others.
To find out more about these and over 70 other tutorial suites visit the OpenHelix Catalog
. Or visit the OpenHelix Blog
for up-to-date information on genomics and genomics resources.
OpenHelix, LLC, (www.openhelix.com) provides the genomics knowledge you need when you need it. OpenHelix provides online self-run tutorials and on-site training for institutions and companies on the most powerful and popular free, web-based, publicly accessible bioinformatics resources. In addition, OpenHelix is contracted by resource providers to provide comprehensive, long-term training and outreach programs.
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/08/prweb2724554.htm.
Related medicine news :1
Copyright©2009 Vocus, Inc.
All rights reserved
. Decision Resources Updated Rheumatoid Arthritis Report Now Includes Forecast for Rigel Pharmaceuticals Fostamatinib Disodium2
. Updated CDC Travel Health Book Released3
. Students Connect with Stable Careers Through Updated Medical Assistant Career Resources on All Allied Health Schools4
. American Academy of Dermatology Issues Updated Position Statement on Vitamin D5
. Lung Cancer Alliance Releases Updated 2009 Facts About Lung Cancer6
. BioVex To Announce Updated Survival Data From a Phase II Clinical Study of OncoVEX GM-CSF in Metastatic Melanoma at The 2009 American Society of Clinical Oncology Meeting7
. Glenwood System LLC'S GlaceEMR Receives 08 CCHIT Certification
Software Complies with Updated Interoperability Requirements8
. T-System Releases Free Clinician Swine Flu Templates, Incorporating Updated CDC Interim Guidelines for Diagnosis and Treatment9
. Discount Medical Supplies Superstore Announces Newly Updated Website: Easy Shopping, Hundreds of Top Brands10
. US releases updated clinical guidelines for HIV-associated opportunistic infections11
. Early Detection Remains Key in Updated NCCN Guidelines for Ovarian Cancer