"Agony, Hope & Resolve" (p. 49). Susan Axelrod, who is married to David Axelrod, President Obama's senior adviser, and is a founding board member and president of CURE, Citizens United for Research in Epilepsy; contributes an essay on her family's experience with epilepsy -- and what it has led her to believe must be done. The Axelrods' daughter, Lauren, had her first seizure when she was just 7 months old. "Epilepsy entered our lives more than 25 years ago and yet, far too often, I have no confidence that outcomes today will be any better than they were for Lauren," she writes.
"Obama Gets Gun Shy" (p. 20). Investigative Correspondent Michael Isikoff and National Correspondent Suzanne Smalley write that despite a recent spate of killings, the president and fellow Democrats choose not to wage war on assault weapons. Running for president in last year's Democratic primaries, Barack Obama promised to restore a federal ban on certain semiautomatic assault guns -- a position that's still on the White House Web site. The ban was originally passed by the Democratic-controlled Congress in 1994 and lapsed five years ago. But Obama and top White House aides have all but abandoned the issue. Chief of staff Rahm Emanuel and other White House strategists have decided they can't afford to tangle with the National Rifle Association at a time when they're pushing other priorities, like economic renewal and health-care reform.
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine news :
1. NEWSWEEK: Media Lead Sheet/September 1, 2008 Issue (on newsstands Monday, August 25, 2008).
2. NEWSWEEK: Media Lead Sheet - July 7-14, 2008 Double Issue (On Newsstands Monday, June 30)
3. NEWSWEEK: Media Lead Sheet/May 26, 2008 Issue (on newsstands Monday, May 19, 2008)
4. NEWSWEEK: Media Lead Sheet/May 19, 2008 Issue (on newsstands Monday, May 12, 2008)
5. NEWSWEEK: Media Lead Sheet/April 21, 2008 Issue (on newsstands Monday, April 14).
6. NEWSWEEK: Media Lead Sheet/March 24, 2008 Issue (on newsstands Monday, March 17)
7. NEWSWEEK: Media Lead Sheet/March 3, 2008 Issue (on newsstands Monday, February 25)
8. NEWSWEEK: Media Lead Sheet/February 4, 2008 Issue (on newsstands Monday, January 28)
9. NEWSWEEK: Media Lead Sheet/January 28, 2008 Issue (on newsstands Monday, January 21).
10. NEWSWEEK: Media Lead Sheet/January 21, 2008 Issue (on newsstands Monday, January 14)
11. NEWSWEEK: International Editions: Highlights and Exclusives, Dec. 31, 2007- Jan. 7, 2008