Terrence Howard, Tyrese Gibson, Brent Celek and Jameer Nelson, Celebrities and Players of the Charlie Mack Celebrity Basketball Game, Expected to Attend the Day's Events
Philadelphia, PA (Vocus) July 23, 2009 -- More than 500 children and their families will attend the Healthy Hoops program, an asthma education and management program sponsored by Keystone Mercy Health Plan, at the Liacouras Center, here, on July 26, 2009.
Keystone Mercy members and program participants will be provided with health assessments, including, blood pressure, BMI, height, weight and spirometry screenings (to test lung capacity). Nutrition information and demonstrations on the use of asthma control devices will also be taught.
In addition to the program, participants will be invited to meet with the players of the Charlie Mack Celebrity Basketball Game, as well as attend, immediately following the screenings. More than 25 professional athletes and celebrities will be in attendance, including actor Terrence Howard; former and current NBA players Jameer Nelson, Cuttino Mobley, Kyle Lowry, Lynn Greer, Rasual Butler and Lou Williams; Philadelphia Eagles tight end Brent Celek and actor/comedian Kevin Hart, who all have ties to the Philadelphia area.
Healthy Hoops was created in 2002 by Keystone Mercy Health Plan in collaboration with the Healthy Hoops Coalition, whose members include AstraZeneca, Crozer-Keystone Health System, the American Lung Association, local basketball coaches and health organizations. The Healthy Hoops program uses basketball as a vehicle to teach children and their families how to manage asthma through appropriate medication usage, proper nutrition and monitored exercise and recreational activities.
Philadelphia has one of the highest rates of asthma in the nation and was ranked in 2009 as America's twelfth worst city to live in for asthma sufferers by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
- 500 Philadelphia Youths and their Families
- Daniel J. Hilferty, president and chief executive officer, AmeriHealth Mercy Family of Companies
- Michael Rashid, executive vice president, AmeriHealth Mercy Family of Companies
- Beth Kingeter, senior account director, AstraZeneca
- Dr. Jay Feldstein, corporate chief medical officer, AmeriHealth Mercy Family of Companies
- Dr. Eric Berman, chief medical officer, Keystone Mercy Health Plan
- Sonny Hill, Keystone Mercy Healthy Hoops coach, executive director of Sonny Hill Basketball League, National Basketball Hall of Fame
- Speedy Morris, Keystone Mercy Healthy Hoops coach, current basketball coach at St. Joseph's Preparatory High School, and former LaSalle University basketball coach
- Bill Fox, Keystone Mercy Healthy Hoops coach, former basketball coach at Father Judge High School
Celebrities and Athletes Attending the game:
- Mike Patterson (Philadelphia Eagles)
- Jameer Nelson (Orlando Magic)
- Cuttino Mobley (Retired NBA)
- Kyle Lowry (Houston Rockets)
- Lynn Greer (Euroleague)
- Rasual Butler (New Orleans Hornets)
- Lou Williams (Philadelphia 76ers)
- Brent Celek (Philadelphia Eagles)
- Terrence Howard (Actor)
- Tyrese Gibson (Actor)
- Kevin Hart (Actor/Comedian)
- Vanessa Williams (Imagine That)
- Yung Dro (Hip Hop)
- Lil Mama (Hip Hop)
- Toccara Jones (Super Model)
- Lisa Raye (Actress)
WHEN: Sunday, July 26, 2009
1:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. - Asthma Screenings and Information Sessions
3:30 p.m. until 4:30 p.m. - Healthy Hoops Coaches Sonny Hill, Speedy Morris and Bill Fox run basketball drills and activities
6:00 p.m. until 8:00 - Charlie Mack Celebrity Basketball Program
WHERE: Liacouras Center, Temple University
1776 N. Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Keith Eckert (215) 863-6762
Cell: (215) 527-7577
Jennifer Chapple (215) 922-7184
Cell: (215) 260-4767
# # #
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/Keystone_Mercy/Healthy_Hoops/prweb2671574.htm.
Related medicine news :1
Copyright©2009 Vocus, Inc.
All rights reserved
. Air Quality Action Day Forecast for July 16 in Philadelphia Region2
. Recoveries Secured by Philadelphia Personal Injury Law Firm Feldman Shepherd Rank among Top 50 in Pennsylvania and Top 100 in U.S.3
. Pew Report Documents Challenges Faced by Philadelphia in Paying for City Workers Pensions and Health Care4
. Angelo Masciantonio, CEO and Co-Founder of HTH Worldwide Named Ernst & Young 2009 Entrepreneur Of The Year(R) in Greater Philadelphia5
. Kensey Nash Corporations CEO & President, Joe Kaufmann Named Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year(R) 2009 Award Winner in Greater Philadelphia Region6
. Three Attorneys from Philadelphia's Galfand Berger Honored as Pennsylvania Super Lawyers7
. Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia Earns Highest Combined US News Score in 10 Specialties Ranked by U.S. News & World Report8
. First World Congress on Positive Psychology Kicks Off Today With Talks by Two of the Worlds Most Renowned Psychologists, Martin Seligman and Philip Zimbardo, in Philadelphia, Birthplace of Positive Psychology9
. ANSi Answers When Awarded the Philadelphia Business Journals Prestigious 2009 South Jersey 25 Accolade10
. Philadelphia Cancer Patients to Benefit from Expansion of the American Cancer Society Patient Navigator Program11
. InfoLogix CEO David Gulian Named Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year 2009 Award Finalist in Greater Philadelphia