SAINT PAUL, Minn., Feb. 4 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Minnesota's state agencies are breaking their 'addiction to oil' one tankful at a time, according to a new report from the SmartFleet Committee, a group that tracks fuel use and encourages state employees to use E85 in the 2,500 flex fuel vehicles in the state fleet. In 2009, state agencies used 816,568 gallons of E85, up from 650,036 gallons used in 2008.
Executive Order 04-10, signed by Gov. Tim Pawlenty, calls for Minnesota state government to reduce the quantity of petroleum fuels consumed in transportation. Using E85, which contains up to 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline, moves the state closer to that goal. On Feb. 3, President Obama's Biofuels Interagency Working Group issued a report encouraging federal, state and local governments to increase their use of biofuels in fleet vehicles. "Minnesota doesn't have any fossil fuel resources of our own," stated Tim Morse, chair of the SmartFleet Committee. "It is important for state government to lead by example as we all look for alternative transportation choices that are cleaner, renewable and made here at home."
According to the report, E85 accounted for 15 percent of the total fuel used in 2009 by the state's light duty vehicles. The state's Higher Education office topped all other agencies with nearly 79 percent use of cleaner-burning E85. Other top agency users of E85 included Agriculture, the Governor's Office, Mediation Services and Revenue.
"I am pleased to see steady progress again this year," said Kelly Marczak, director for the American Lung Association in Minnesota
SOURCE American Lung Association in Minnesota
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine news :
1. Minnesota Hospital Trustee Earns Certification
2. Childrens Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota Calls on Local Artists for New Arts and Healing Initiative
3. Minnesota Hospital Association Elects, Re-Elects Members to Board
4. Minnesota Vikings Team With Memorial Blood Centers Again for Annual Blood Drive
5. IncomeToday! Securians Minnesota Life/SPIA Product Added to CANNEX Exchange
6. Childrens Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota Receives National Recognition for Quality and Efficiency
7. Personality predicts success in medical school, says new study by U of Minnesota professor
8. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota and Fairview Health Services Launch Online Care Anywhere(TM)
9. The Minnesota Nurses Association: School Nurses in Minnesota Celebrate 100 Years of Addressing Health Needs of School Children
10. Imagewrks Marketing Named Among Top 50 Fastest Growing Private Companies in Minnesota
11. Minnesota Charity Launches Global Initiative to Help Children and Families Fighting Chronic Illnesses