First hospital in Georgia to use a new, cutting edge diagnostic technology to fight serious infections and improve patient care and outcomes.
WOBURN, Mass., and VEDBAEK, Denmark, June 2 /PRNewswire/ -- AdvanDx today announced
Every year, 350,000 patients contract bloodstream infections in the United States causing over 90,000 deaths and significant costs to the healthcare system. Rapid and accurate identification of the causative pathogen is crucial to ensuring appropriate antibiotic therapy and improving patient outcomes. Conventional diagnostic methods can take 48 hours or longer forcing physicians to treat patients empirically with broad-spectrum antibiotics that may prove to be ineffective and can lead to long-term resistance.
AdvanDx's PNA FISH tests employ unique technology that detects bacteria's genetic material to provide identification results in just over 2 hours. "The fast tests will enable the microbiology lab to provide results 1 to 3 days sooner than conventional methods for such serious pathogens as Staphylococcus aureus, Candida albicans and Candida glabrata," said Vera Pagan, Microbiology Manager at
Clinical trials conducted at hospitals in the United States have shown that implementing PNA FISH and delivering fast results to clinicians directed earlier, effective antibiotic therapy, reduced mortality rates and improved hospital operational efficiency by reducing hospital length of stay, bed utilization, and pharmacy and lab costs related to unnecessary antibiotic use(1,2,3).
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine news :
1. William W. Wirtz Allocates $19.5 Million to Northwestern Memorial for Cancer Care and Research
2. The Healthcare Scoop Encourages Sun Safety This Memorial Day Weekend And Into Summer
3. Franklin Memorial Hospital Thrives on the InstaMed Network
4. Top 10 Pet Travel Tips for Memorial Day
5. Haiti Hosts Opening Ceremony of the 2009 International AIDS Candlelight Memorial: Worldwide Events Commence With the Announcement of a National HIV Testing Campaign in Haiti
6. Full Calendar of Activities for 24th Los Angeles Marathon This Memorial Day Weekend
7. Thomson Reuters Honors Keystone Mercy and AmeriHealth Mercy Health Plans and Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare
8. Dunwoody Partners with North Memorial for Radiologic Technologist Program
9. MedGenix Financial Information System Selected by Bates County Memorial Hospital
10. YWCA USA Celebrates Sojourner Truth Memorial in U.S. Capitol
11. Smallest full support heart assist device on trial at Northwestern Memorial