CHAPEL HILL, N.C., Oct. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- With declining revenues and shrinking sales forces, pharmaceutical companies look to other functions, such as Medical Affairs, to maximize their sales support role, yet operate as a productive cost center. To achieve this goal, leading pharmaceutical companies run sleek and efficient Medical Affairs departments that truly enhance the sales and marketing function, thereby ensuring the creation of winning products.
Best Practices, LLC's benchmarking report Medical Affairs Excellence: Structuring, Aligning and Funding for Global Success can inform your companies thinking about optimizing your Medical Affairs function.
Best Practices, LLC surveyed and interviewed seasoned medical affairs executives at 12 top tier pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, including Abbott Labs, Amgen, AstraZeneca, GSK, Eli Lilly and Merck. For example, the following findings emerged from this research:
-- Outsourcing: On average, medical affairs departments outsource 48% of their activities. Activities most often outsourced include data management/biostatistics (74%) and medical communications (68%).
-- Staffing: The number of FTEs per compound ranges from 4 to 83, with the average for the group at 27 FTE per compound.
-- Structuring: 73% of surveyed companies have the head of medical affairs department reporting directly to the head of country, regional or global pharmaceutical business. The remaining 27% report either to heads of research and development or to commercial operations.
For a complimentary summary available, please paste the following into your browser: http://www3.best-in-class.com/rr861.htm
To find out more about Best Practices Research and Consulting, please visit our website at http://www.best-in-class.com or contact me at 919-767-9182 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT BEST PRACTICES, LLC
Best Practices, LLC is a research and consulting firm that conducts work based on the principle that organizations can chart a course to superior economic performance by studying the best business practices, operating tactics and winning strategies of world-class companies. For more information, call (919) 403-0251 or visit http://www3.best-in-class.com/.
|SOURCE Best Practices, LLC|
Copyright©2007 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved