The 2nd Annual Family Medicine Student Symposium comes at a critical time. The McGill-hosted, student-led event aims to address the ever-growing need for family medicine practitioners by showcasing this dynamic and essential field to the next generation of physicians.
The symposium, launched last year by Universit Laval, will bring together 500 medical students from Quebec's four faculties of medicine and the University of Ottawa. Through hands-on workshops at the University's Simulation Centre for medical training, information kiosks and conferences, students will be exposed to the diverse career paths available to them. Quebec Minister of Health and Social Services Yves Bolduc, a former family practitioner and health services manager, will also join the students to share his personal perspective.
WHAT: "I am Family Medicine Je choisis la mdecine familiale" Student Symposium
WHEN: Saturday, Sept. 25, 2010 (8 a.m. 6 p.m.)
- Yves Bolduc, Quebec's Minister of Health and Social Services and general practitioner, Richard I. Levin, McGill Vice-Principal (Health Affairs), Dean, Faculty of Medicine and Miriam Boillat, McGill's Interim Chair of Family Medicine, will be on hand to address the students.
- Conferences: Family physicians will facilitate discussions on specific topics, from Aboriginal health, chronic illness and house calls to palliative care.
- Workshop sessions: Hands-on learning at the Sim Centre and on campus, in areas such as deliveries, suturing and wilderness medicine, led by family practitioner
- Keynote Speaker: Dr. Vania Jimenez, Family physician and Medical Director of CSSS de la Montagne, recently returned from Haiti as part of a medical team providing on-site care
- Information kiosks: for partner organizations in the field of family medicine, including school and residency programs
HOSTS: McGill Family Medicine Student Interest Group (FaMSIG) chapter, McGill Faculty of Medicine, McGill Department of Family Medicine, with collaboration from the Ministre de la Sant et des Services sociaux du Qubec and FaMSIG chapters at Universit de Montral, Universit Laval, Universit de Sherbrooke and the University of Ottawa.
WHERE: McIntyre Medical Sciences Building (1200 Pine Ave. West) and the Arnold and Blema Steinberg Medical Simulation Centre (3575 avenue du Parc, Suite #5640)
Related medicine news :1
. Water management and malnutrition crucial issues at McGill food conference2
. McGill pair capture NSERC prizes3
. McGills Orphan Drug research offers hope4
. McGill-UBC project creates mouse grimace scale to help identify pain in humans and animals5
. MUHC/McGill Ocular Pathology Laboratory celebrates a decade of progress6
. $300,000 CIHR grant awarded to Medicago, the Research Institute of the MUHC and McGill University7
. Progress against child deaths will lag until family, community care prioritized8
. Male breast cancer in family leads to high perception of risk, low likelihood of genetic counseling9
. Guided Care improves physician satisfaction with patient/family communications10
. Trek Introduces All New 2011 Madone Family of Road Bikes 11
. Real Life "Fat Camp" Owner Disagrees With How Such Camps Are Depicted In ABC Family's new show, "Huge"