TUESDAY, Dec. 13 (HealthDay News) -- Each year in the United States, one of every 150 two-year-olds visits an emergency room for treatment of an accidental medication overdose, a new government report shows.
Most of these cases occur when unsupervised children eat or drink medicines they find at home, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
A new program to educate parents and caregivers about safe medication storage and what to do in an emergency was announced this week by the CDC and a coalition of partners. The "Up and Away and Out of Sight" program outlines measures parents can take to protect children.
"Parents may not be aware of the danger posed by leaving medications where young children can reach them. In recent years, the number of accidental overdoses in young children has increased by 20 percent," Dr. Dan Budnitz, director of CDC's Medication Safety Program, said in a CDC news release. "A few simple steps -- done every time -- can protect our children."
Any vitamin or medicine, even those you buy without a prescription, can cause harm if taken improperly, the CDC warned.
All medicines and vitamins should be stored in a place that's too high for children to reach or see. Always put medicines away after you use them. Never leave them out on a kitchen counter or a sick child's bedside, even if you have to give the medicine again in a few hours.
Make sure safety caps are locked after you use medicines. If it's a locking cap that turns, twist it until you hear a click.
Teach children about medicine safety. Never tell children that medicine is candy to get them to take it, the CDC stressed.
Ask visitors and houseguests to keep purses, bags or coats that have medicines in them up and away and out of sight when they are in your home.
Be prepared for emergencies. Program the poison control number (1-800-222-1222) into home and cellphones.
All rights reserved