Grand Rapids, MI (PRWEB) September 24, 2013
Susan G. Komen West Michigan will host its 16th annual Race for the Cure ®., as part of the largest 5k run/fitness walk series in the world on Saturday, September 28th at 8:30 a.m. at Rivertown Crossings Mall in Grandville. The race will consists of a 5k run/walk and a one mile community run/walk with funds raised benefiting local breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs.
“We expect over 5,000 participants this year and have 149 teams currently registered,“ said, Carol Perschbacher, Susan G. Komen West Michigan board president and 12-year breast cancer survivor. “It has grown tremendously throughout the past years and we are confident that it will continue to do so as we spread the word of Komen’s impact on local lives throughout west Michigan. The awareness and support of our community is outstanding.”
Survivors and supporters of all ages are welcome to donate to or take part in the event. Participants may choose to run or walk with a team or as an individual with registration fees ranging from $15-35. Online registrants will be awarded a one-year subscription to either SELF or GQ Magazine as a special bonus. Those who register before September 25nd will avoid a late fee and are guaranteed a race shirt.
All donations and registration fees are used to support the fight against breast cancer locally and nationally - 75 percent will go to local education, screening and treatment programs and the other 25 percent will go to benefit the Susan G. Komen National Headquarters for leading-edge breast cancer research. Susan G. Komen West Michigan also funds local breast cancer health organizations in Kent, Ottawa, Montcalm, Muskegon and Newaygo counties, including supplying grants to support underprivileged, uninsured, and minority populations.
“What is unique about this organization is the local impact it delivers,” says Jennifer Jurgens, executive director of Susan G. Komen. “The funds we’re raising are helping my friends who don’t have great insurance get breast cancer services including mammograms, biopsies and even genetic testing. And in doing so, we’re helping save lives.”
For more information on how to become involved in the fight against breast cancer, including ways to donate and register for this event, individuals can visit http://www.komenwestmichigan.org.
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/9/prweb11151164.htm.
Copyright©2012 Vocus, Inc.
All rights reserved