CHICAGO, Feb. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- A lawsuit was filed today by Latherow Law Office on behalf of a 10 year-old boy who contracted salmonella poisoning after eating at a Blueberry Hill Restaurant in LaGrange, Illinois, on October 5, 2008. The child was hospitalized for three days as a result of the poisoning. Blueberry Hill was cited by the Cook County Department of Health after the Communicable Disease Unit identified 13 individuals who also contracted salmonella poisoning after eating one or more times at the restaurant between October 5 and 11, 2008. The Department concluded that improper food handling likely promoted the transmission of salmonella poisoning to its patrons.
"It's a shame that a local family restaurant would completely disregard the minimum standards for food safety," said the boy's attorney, Bridget Duignan. "Hopefully Congress will take a hard look at the recently introduced Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 (H.R. 875), so that we may gain trust in the food industry and confidently take our families out to eat."
The lawsuit filed on behalf of the 10 year-old boy, through his mother, Maria Arreaga, and by their attorneys, Jerry A. Latherow and Bridget Duignan of Chicago, alleges that Blueberry Hill not only failed to properly handle the food in the kitchen, but failed to properly keep a clean and sanitized food preparation line and keep food at the correct temperature.
The lawsuit was filed in the Circuit Court of Cook County. Unspecified damages are being sought.
|SOURCE Latherow Law Office|
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved