Navigation Links
Human Meds Are Pets' Biggest Poisoning Danger

By Maryann Mott
HealthDay Reporter

FRIDAY, Aug. 13 (HealthDay News) -- When John D'Amato arrived home early from work one day, he found an empty bottle of ibuprofen on the living room floor -- and one very sick pet.

His Great Dane puppy, Otis, had knocked the pain-reliever container off the coffee table -- where D'Amato had left it the night before -- and devoured dozens of the pills.

"My heart dropped through the floor," he said of the discovery.

D'Amato rushed the 85-pound puppy to a veterinary clinic near his home in Manchester, N.H., where the staff immediately induced vomiting and began administering IV fluids. Had D'Amato arrived home much later, Otis might not have survived.

Ingestion of over-the-counter and prescription drugs formulated for humans are by far the most common cause of pet poisonings in this country, veterinarians say.

Since the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) in Urbana, Ill., began keeping statistics in 2002, human medications have consistently topped its annual list of the most toxic substances pets ingest.

Of the 98,000 calls received so far this year, about one-third involve dogs and cats consuming human medications, says Camille DeClementi, a veterinary toxicologist with APCC.

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, such as Advil, Aleve and Motrin, are among the top offenders, the APCC finds. Other drugs commonly eaten by dogs and some felines include antidepressants (Prozac), acetaminophen (Tylenol), anti-anxiety drugs (Xanax), sleep aids (Ambien) and beta-blocker blood pressure medications (Tenormin or Toprol.)

"The most toxic things in our homes are the medications we take," she said. "Animals are inquisitive, and get into things they're not supposed to."

Pets knock vials off countertops and nightstands, or owners mistakenly think they're helping their pets by giving them human medication to alleviate some sort of ailment.

That's a big no-no.

"Dogs' and cats' metabolisms are different from ours, so they can't always process the same drugs we can," explains Silene Young, a former emergency room veterinarian who works for Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI) in Brea, Calif.

Just one extra-strength Tylenol, for example, can kill a cat. And the anti-cancer topical treatment, Fluorouracil, can be fatal in dogs, even in the tiniest doses ingested -- say, from chewing on the discarded cotton swabs used to apply the cream, according to veterinary toxicologists.

Medication mix-ups cause unintentional poisonings too. By grabbing the wrong bottle, some owners inadvertently give their pet medication that's really meant for them or other humans.

Keeping animal and human medications in separate drawers or cabinets is the simplest way to prevent those types of mishaps from occurring.

It's also a good idea, veterinarians say, for owners to take their medication in the bathroom with the door shut. That way, if a pill drops on the floor, they have time to retrieve it before the dog does.

Luckily, a good portion of pet poisoning cases are treatable at home if caught right away, says the DeClementi. The center runs a 24-7 hotline staffed by veterinary toxicologists who give diagnostic and treatment recommendations for poison-related emergencies in animals.

And if a trip to the veterinary hospital is warranted, you'd better take along your credit card. Treating a pet that has ingested a human medication costs owners, on average, $791 before insurance reimbursement, according to VPI.

As for Otis, the Great Dane, he pulled through just fine after three days of intravenous fluids and close monitoring by veterinarians.

The sheer number of pills he gobbled -- at least 35 -- could have caused gastric ulcers or kidney failure, both of which can cause death.

Quick action taken by his owner, though, saved the young dog's life and stopped internal damage from developing. "He's been back for check-ups since [the incident]," says D'Amato, "and he's a very healthy dog."

More information

For first aid tips involving pets, see the American Veterinary Medical Association.

SOURCES: Camille DeClementi, V.M.D., veterinary toxicologist, ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, Urbana, Ill.; Silene Young, director of professional services, Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI), Brea, Calif.; John D'Amato, Manchester, N.H.

Copyright©2010 ScoutNews,LLC.
All rights reserved  

Related medicine news :

1. NIH launches effort to define markers of human immune responses
2. New human adenovirus may not make for good vaccines, after all
3. Human clinical trial of NIH-developed dengue vaccine begins
4. Human embryonic stem cells purified in new, rapid technique
5. Scientists develop the first model for investigating the origins of testicular cancer in humans
6. Scientists unravel human-ecosystem interactions
7. UCLA scientists for the first time identify a cell-of-origin for human prostate cancer
8. Plant compound resveratrol shown to suppresses inflammation, free radicals in humans
9. Non-human sugar in biotech drugs causes inflammation
10. Cancer-metabolism link runs deep in humans
11. UCLA scientists isolate the first stages of tissue production in human embryonic stem cells
Post Your Comments:
Related Image:
Human Meds Are Pets' Biggest Poisoning Danger
(Date:11/25/2015)... ... November 25, 2015 , ... Beddit® has launched a new Android app ... new app features a more intuitive SleepScore™ that rates sleep quality on a 100-point ... SleepScore is created by a proprietary algorithm. Beddit analyzes the data to provide an ...
(Date:11/25/2015)... ... November 25, 2015 , ... “While riding the bus, ... from Bronx, N.Y. “I thought there had to be a convenient and comfortable way ... , The PROTECTOR enables disabled individuals to safely travel during cold or inclement weather. ...
(Date:11/25/2015)... ... November 25, 2015 , ... ... announces the nation’s Periwinkle Pioneers, individuals and groups responsible for advancing care for ... The Periwinkle Pioneers, nominated by the public, will receive special recognition throughout 2016 ...
(Date:11/25/2015)... ... 25, 2015 , ... An unlikely combination of recycled plastic ... for homeless people to have a more dignified and comfortable night’s sleep. , ... are repurposing plastic bags into sleeping mats for the homeless. The project, ...
(Date:11/25/2015)... , ... November 25, 2015 , ... ... has focused on providing comprehensive solutions involving adult stem cell therapies to patients ... officially deemed the “Regenestem” name as a Registered Trademark (RTM). , Organizations are ...
Breaking Medicine News(10 mins):
(Date:11/25/2015)... , Nov. 25, 2015  The American Academy ... Gynecologists (ACOG), and the March of Dimes cheered ... Protecting Our Infants Act of 2015 (S.799), ... of newborns born exposed to drugs, such as ... bill,s introduction, all three organizations have worked together ...
(Date:11/25/2015)... 2015 On Tuesday, November 24, 2015, ... against Wright Medical Technology, Inc. for product liability ... hip implant device, awarded $11 million in favor ... trial and three days of deliberations, the jury ... defectively designed and unreasonably dangerous, and that Wright ...
(Date:11/25/2015)... , November 25, 2015 Kitov ... ) (TASE: KTOV), a biopharmaceutical company focused on the ... various clinical conditions, today announced the closing of its ... Shares ( ADSs ), each representing 20 ordinary shares ... 3,158,900 ADSs. The ADSs and warrants were issued in ...
Breaking Medicine Technology: