HONOLULU, Dec. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Tyrie Jenkins, M.D., accomplished Hawaii ophthalmologist and eye surgeon, is a recipient of a Hawaii Business magazine 2009 Small Business Success Award.
Dr. Tyrie Jenkins' success can be measured in many ways: professional trailblazer, health care advocate, educator and student.
Dr. Jenkins provides eye care to patients of all ages, has worked in laser refractive surgery since its infancy and remains on top of technological advances in eye diseases, including cataracts and glaucoma.
She performed Hawaii's first LASIK (Laser In Situ Keratomileusis) procedure in 1997. She participated in the national study that led to Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval and has remained in the forefront of refractive technologies, performing thousands of procedures.
In 2005, Dr. Jenkins was part of the team that introduced the FDA-approved laser technology in Hawaii, called "iris registration." Last year she performed the latest FDA-approved procedure using the Visian ICL(TM) -- a lens that is permanently implanted behind the iris and in front of the natural lens.
Dr. Jenkins has been recognized twice by VISX as one of the nation's top 100 eye surgeons, placing her in the top five percent of refractive surgeons. (The VISX system was the first device for corneal refractive surgery approved by the FDA.)
Investing in new technologies keeps Dr. Jenkins on the cutting edge. She is medical director of the Laser Eye Center, Hawaii's first locally owned laser refractive surgery center. She also performs other eye surgeries at the Surgical Suites.
Dr. Jenkins is president of the Women's Fund of Hawaii, a philanthropic
organization that benefits women and young girls in need in Hawaii. With an
eye to a later-life career in missionary work, Dr. Jenkins is also working on
a Masters in Public Health from
Copyright©2008 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine news :
1. ACS Announces Contract Extensions with Hawaii Medicaid
2. AMA Foundation Honors Hawaii Physician
3. Longs Drugs Plans to Become the First Retailer in Hawaii With Walk-in Medical Clinics
4. Hawaiis Premier Physician Management Company, TeamPraxis, Selects Allscripts Electronic Health Record for Statewide Deployment
5. Aon Construction Services Group Hires Veteran Industry Expert to Lead Hawaii Operations
6. Natural Elements Reveals Exotic Natural Hawaiian Skin Care Products for Sale on Their Website
7. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Hawaii and American Well Bring Online Care to the State of Hawaii
8. LodgeNet Healthcare Expands Into Hawaii Through Agreement With St. Francis Hospice
9. MedHelp to Add Top Stanford Surgeons and Specialized Forums to Online Health Community
10. Revolutionary HD Surgical Footage from North Shore-LIJ Surgeon to be Broadcast for the First Time on ABCs 20/20, National Geographic Channel
11. Acting Surgeon General Announces National Initiatives to Protect Children by Reducing Exposure to Secondhand Smoke