Expect the Unexpected - Boost Your Local Blood Supply
NEW YORK, Aug. 24 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- New York Blood Center (NYBC) and its regional operations in Manhattan, Long Island, Hudson Valley, Brooklyn / Staten Island, and New Jersey urge healthy people to please donate blood now through Labor Day to help ensure that your community is prepared for predictable, as well as unexpected, blood needs. NYBC also asks that people who have donated blood once in the past to please consider donating again. People can give blood every 56 days.
Demand for blood has been very high this summer from the 200 hospitals served by NYBC. The need for blood and platelets is constant: Donated red cells last only 42 days, and platelets only five days.
The need for blood never takes a summer vacation. In fact, summer is "trauma season" for most emergency rooms. August has the highest number of vehicle accidents, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), because more miles are traveled in August than any other month. The Summer of 2009, in particular, has had a number of severe, tragic accidents within the New York tri-state area. It is crucial that people donate blood, to help supply emergency rooms for these kinds of situations. Car accident and trauma victims may need as many as 50 or more red cell transfusions.
Every two seconds, someone needs blood. O-negative blood is needed immediately, but healthy people of all blood types and ethnicities are encouraged to donate now. People with O-negative blood are known as "universal donors" because their blood can be transfused into anyone. Type O-negative blood is found in just 6 percent of the population, but is used more often by patients with other blood types, especially in emergency rooms and trauma situations. One out of three people will need a life-saving blood transfusion in his or her lifetime.
People with Rh-negative blood, including A-, B- and O-, comprise just 15 percent of the population, yet their blood can be safely transfused to the remaining 85 percent of the population.
Please give blood today. Each blood donation can help save as many as three lives following component (red cell, platelet, plasma) separation.
To donate blood, please call: Toll Free: 1-800-933-2566 Visit: www.nybloodcenter.org
Any company, community organization, place of worship, or individual may host a blood drive. NYBC also offers special community service scholarships for students who organize community blood drives during the summer. Blood donors receive free mini-medical exams on site including information about their temperature, pulse rate, blood pressure and hemoglobin level. Eligible donors include those people at least age 16 (with parental permission or consent), who weigh a minimum of 110 pounds, are in good health and meet all Food & Drug Administration and NY or NJ State Department of Health donor criteria. People over 75 may donate with a doctor's note.
About New York Blood Center:
New York Blood Center (NYBC) is one of the nation's largest non-profit, community-based blood centers. NYBC has been providing blood, transfusion products and services to almost 200 hospitals, serving 20 million people, in greater New York since 1964. NYBC is also home to the Lindsley F. Kimball Research Institute and the National Cord Blood Program at the Howard P. Milstein National Cord Blood Center, the world's largest public cord blood bank. NYBC provides medical services and programs (Clinical, Transfusion, and Hemophilia Services) through our medical professionals and transfusion medicine physicians.
Contact: Leslie Gonzalez firstname.lastname@example.org (212) 570-3304 Office (646) 342-3038 Mobile
|SOURCE New York Blood Center|
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved