Allergist Dr. Clifford Bassett and Aller-Ease(R) share some shocking information about what lurks beneath the sheets
DUQUESNE, Pa., March 24 /PRNewswire/ -- Beds are a sanctuary - a safe haven for rest and rejuvenation. But if most people - particularly allergy sufferers - really knew what was lurking beneath the sheets, they might think that their bed is more like a litter box than a sanctuary.
Lying beneath the cleanest, most luxurious linens and inside the fluffiest pillows lurk microscopic allergy triggers, including dust mite droppings, pollen, fungal and mold spores and cat and dog dander. Trying to sleep among the estimated 10 million allergen particles found in an unprotected mattress can surely disrupt a person's peaceful slumber(1).
"Spring allergy season is right around the corner so it's time to protect yourself against the microscopic allergens that can wreak havoc on your respiratory system," says Dr. Clifford Bassett, allergy expert and assistant clinical professor of medicine at Long Island College Hospital. "Protecting your pillow and mattress with allergen-filtration products such as Aller-Ease(R) is one of the most important steps allergy and asthma sufferers can take to minimize their symptoms. For maximum allergy relief, it is critical to build a complete allergen filtration bedding system that protects pillows, mattresses and box springs."
Whether or not you suffer from allergies, the allergens inside the typical pillow and mattress are not what most people would want to breathe. But for allergy and asthma sufferers, the problem is even more severe.
Dr. Bassett says there are five secrets your bed won't tell you, but especially if you suffer from allergies, you need to know:
1. Beds are a hotspot ... for allergens. Pillows and mattresses provide the perfect environment for collecting dust and dust mites, mold spores, pet dander and other microscopic allergens.
Simply encasing your mattress and pillow in protective allergy-filtration bedding is an effective and affordable solution to block dust mite droppings, pet dander, fungal and mold spores and other microscopic allergens, so you can sleep comfortably and wake refreshed.
2. A heavy sleeper? ... Unprotected mattresses can double in weight every 10 years due to microscopic allergens that accumulate inside mattresses. These particles are taken into the body through respiration and can lead to increased allergy symptoms.
3. All bedding is not created equally ... when it comes to filtering allergens. It's a common misperception that using regular mattress pads will protect your bed against allergens. But they don't. In fact, they're likely to harbor even more allergens.
Protective bedding works beneath the mattress pad and sheets to not only filter allergens, but reduce the number of allergens collected in bedding over time.
4. It's what's on the inside that counts ... 10 percent of an unprotected pillow's weight is comprised of allergen particles after two years(2).
Preventing allergy symptoms shouldn't be left to chance. Look for lab-tested, allergist-recommended and affordable products like Aller-Ease protective bedding, which have earned the Good Housekeeping Seal, to provide 360-degree protection from the fungal and mold spores, dust mites and their droppings and other allergens that can cause unrest.
5. You should breathe easy ... and so should your bed. Blocking allergens doesn't require blocking air. Aller-Ease protective bedding systems use innovative fabric engineering techniques to provide a breathable, cotton encasement that filter microscopic particles that cause allergies and asthma, so your bed can breathe as easy as you do while sleeping allergen-free.
In addition to comfortable cotton, Aller-Ease offers pillow and mattress protectors that block water as well as allergens.
"Aller-Ease pioneered the protective bedding category and has been the number-one selling brand of protective bedding for more than a decade," said Jennifer Katz, vice president of marketing communications for American Textile Company. "Our products are unmatched in performance and comfort so users can rest easy knowing that the cleanliness of their beds matches the comfort."
Win a Free Aller-Ease Pillow Protector
Spring has sprung and Aller-Ease wants to help alleviate your allergy symptoms. To help prepare you for the onslaught of spring allergies, Aller-Ease is giving away 50 cotton pillow protectors every day for a week. What are the benefits of Aller-Ease Cotton? The tightly-woven construction of Aller-Ease Cotton is a fortress against microscopic particles, pet dander and pollen. Plus, Aller-Ease Cotton is made with cool, breathable fabric to allow for a more restful night's sleep. Aller-Ease Cotton doesn't trap body heat or moisture against the skin, allowing you to sleep more comfortably all night long. Starting on March 30 through April 6, the first 50 people to visit www.aller-ease.com and enter the giveaway will win an Aller-Ease cotton pillow protector.
About American Textile Company
American Textile Company is the leading supplier of quality mattress and pillow protectors, bed pillows and mattress pads to large and small retailers. The company's products are designed to improve the quality of sleep. Brands include Aller-Ease(R), designed especially for asthma and allergy sufferers; DermaTherapy(R), for people with sensitive skin or chronic skin problems; and Cool Sensations(TM), bedding constructed with innovative fabric technology that manages the discomfort and sleeplessness associated with night sweats. Products are sold at leading retailers in the United States and Canada, including Wal-Mart, Kmart, Target, Sears, Macy's, Kohl's and Bed Bath & Beyond. For more information, visit www.americantextile.com.
(1). William F. Lyon,
(2). William F. Lyon,
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved