Skoll's private company, Participant Media, produces movies such as "An Inconvenient Truth" and "The Kite Runner" and other content designed to inform and inspire audiences, with the goal of driving public engagement to make positive change. In addition, Skoll's multi-billion dollar financial services firm, Capricorn Investment Group, brings a principled approach to its investment discipline. In his capacity as senior adviser to Skoll, Brilliant will seek opportunities to leverage these organizations and relationships to further drive positive change in the urgent threat areas.
About Dr. Larry Brilliant
Brilliant served a three-year stint as the first executive director of Google.org, the company's philanthropic arm before becoming chief philanthropy evangelist for Google. He is an M.D. and M.P.H., board-certified in preventive medicine, epidemiology and public health. He was one of a four-person international team that led the successful World Health Organization smallpox eradication program in India and South Asia. He later founded the Seva Foundation of Berkeley, California, which works in dozens of countries around the world to eliminate preventable and curable blindness. Seva's projects have given back sight to nearly 3 million people. Last year, Time magazine named Brilliant one of the 20 most influential scientists and thinkers and one of the 100 most influential people in the world.
Brilliant co-founded The Well, a pioneering virtual community, with Stewart Brand in 1985. He also holds a telecom systems patent and has served as CEO of public and venture-backed technology companies.
Earlier in his career, he was a professor of international health and epidemiology at the
SOURCE Skoll Foundation
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine news :
1. Cleveland Clinic and The Larry King Cardiac Foundation Partner to Provide Heart Surgery to Those in Need
2. Amsterdam Native and St. Jude Patient Christian Gizara to Appear With Marlo Thomas on Nov. 30 Larry King Live to Educate Viewers About Life-Saving Work of St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital(R)
3. Amsterdam Native and St. Jude Patient Christian Gizara to Appear With Marlo Thomas on Dec. 8 Larry King Live to Educate Viewers About Life-Saving Work of St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital(R)
4. Statement From Larry Minnix, President & CEO, American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging (AAHSA) on the Senate Special Committee on Aging Hearing, Caring for Our Seniors: How Can We Support the Frontlines?
5. Chrysler LLC Chairman and CEO Bob Nardelli and Chrysler Foundation Recognized by Larry King Cardiac Foundation for Dedication to Improving Lives of Others
6. Statement from Larry Minnix, President & CEO American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging, On the Government Accountability Offices (GAO) Nursing Home Oversight Report
7. USC Cancer Center Announces Contribution By Larry and Judy Freeman
8. Statement From Larry Minnix, President & CEO, American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging on the Release of Sen. Baucuss Health Care Reform Proposal
9. Silicon Valley Veterans Sarah Imbach and Larry Tesler Join 23andMe Management Team
10. Silicon Valley Veterans Sarah Imbach and Larry Tesler Join 23andMe Management Team
11. 2008 a Year of Growth and Unprecedented Service for The Larry King Cardiac Foundation