SUNNYVALE, Calif., Nov. 24 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Cepheid (Nasdaq: CPHD) today announced that Health Canada has issued a medical device license for its Xpert(TM) MRSA/SA Skin and Soft Tissue (SSTI) test for the rapid detection of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and Staphylococcus aureus (SA, typically Methicillin-sensitive) in skin and soft tissue infections. Availability of the Xpert MRSA/SA SSTI test is expected to empower Canadian physicians and surgeons with a new tool to aid in selecting the most effective antibiotic therapy to improve patient management.
In less than one hour, Cepheid's Xpert MRSA/SA SSTI test processes specimens from suspected skin and soft tissue infection swabs to determine if a patient is infected with MRSA or SA. The new test runs on Cepheid's GeneXpert(R) System, the world's leading Healthcare Associated Infection (HAI) molecular testing platform.
"The ability to accurately detect MRSA and SA in less than one hour is an important technological step forward in the management of both hospital-acquired and community-acquired infections," said Rob Koska, Cepheid's Senior Vice President of Worldwide Commercial Operations. "We are very pleased to announce the availability of the first rapid molecular SSTI diagnostic test for MRSA and SA to the Canadian market. With our established position as the leader in HAI testing, we expect Cepheid's GeneXpert System to continue to be the molecular platform of choice for the management of HAIs."
MRSA and SA infections are national medical concerns that place millions
of lives at risk and add millions of dollars to healthcare costs each year --
both in outpatient, or community-acquired infections, and in-patient, or
surgical site infections acquired within the healthcare environment.
According to a new six-year
Copyright©2008 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine news :
1. Cepheid Launches First On-Demand Molecular Diagnostic Test for Clostridium Difficile Into European Market
2. Cepheid Signs Group Purchasing Contract With Premier Healthcare Alliance, One of the Largest U.S. Group Purchasing Organizations
3. Cepheid Reports Record Revenue of $44.8 Million
4. Cepheid Selected as Vendor of Choice by Connecticut Hospital Association Shared Services Program for Molecular MRSA Surveillance Testing
5. Cepheid Comments on Study Regarding MRSA Surveillance Reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association
6. Cepheid to Present at the Needham Tenth Annual Growth Stock Conference
7. Cepheid and Broadlane Sign Group Purchasing Contract for GeneXpert(R) Systems and Xpert(TM) Molecular Diagnostic Tests, Including Xpert MRSA
8. Cepheid Schedules Teleconference and Webcast for Third Quarter 2007 Results
9. Cepheid to Present at ThinkEquity Partners 5th Annual Growth Conference
10. Accordia Global Health Foundation Receives $12.5 Million Grant From Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
11. Jon M. Huntsman Receives American Cancer Society Medal of Honor