Canoga Park, CA (PRWEB) June 13, 2013
Stress, anxiety, depression and self-esteem may all be issues hindering weight loss success for people who have tried countless diets and failed. The downward spiral of emotional eating followed by feelings of shame and embarrassment is a vicious cycle hindering many people from losing weight. According to 101 Medical Weight Loss, the leader in medical weight loss programs in the San Fernando Valley, when it comes to losing weight, you may be your own worst enemy.
“If you’ve tried losing weight before and have found it to be an uphill battle in which you lose a few pounds only to gain back several more, then it’s time to break the psychological cycle that may holding you back from your goal,” says Dr. Aazami of 101 Medical Weight Loss.
People who are overweight often feel a social stigma or prejudice that can have a negative effect on their self-esteem. This often causes a psychological cycle for weight gain to be set in motion. People, overweight as well as thin, often eat in response to stress, depression, loneliness, and anxiety. This stress-induced or emotional eating can lead to weight gain which in turn leads to lower self-esteem, depression, and anxiety, which leads to more stress-based eating and additional weight gain. It’s easy to see how one can become trapped in a dangerous downward spiral and vicious cycle.
Use these seven steps to create a mental turnaround and break through the psychological barriers that are holding you back.
Seven Steps to Breaking the Cycle
1. Stop Diet Deprivation. Diets that put severe restrictions on what you can eat often arouse binge eating. While you may hold out for a while, one day you’ll decide depriving yourself is not worth it, or you can’t take it anymore, and you dig into the refrigerator, freezer, or snack cabinet with a vengeance. Allow yourself small indulgences that are satisfying and will help you avoid harmful binging.
2. Plan Ahead. What if you should slip? The best way to avoid slipping is through pre-planning. So, if you’re off to a backyard barbeque or family gathering, decide ahead of time what your plan is. Eat something healthy and filling before you go out and then allow yourself a few special treats at the party, but exercise portion control. If you know that Aunt Mary is making your favorite dessert, plan on having a small slice and savor it. Managing your weight and enjoying life should go hand in hand.
3. Set Realistic Weight Loss Goals. To avoid the frustration of failing, don’t overstress yourself with unrealistic weight loss goals. You gained weight slowly over time and it will take some time to gradually lose that weight. Slow but sure is the best approach.
4. Choose Healthy Outlets for Emotions. Instead of opening the refrigerator when you’re upset, try phoning a friend or taking a walk instead. Discover something that makes you feel calmer or happier – something other than food or alcohol. Do yoga, dance around your living room, meditate, or go out bowling with a friend.
5. Stop Harboring Hurts. Work through issues that are upsetting you. Talk to a therapist or even a friend. Don’t let hurts, old wounds, or patterns that reach back into your childhood affect you and your relationship with food.
6. Remember Why You’re Dieting. It helps to stop and remember why you’re dieting in the first place. Is it to have more energy, look and feel better, alleviate health problems, or increase your self-esteem? Keeping the goal in mind is critical to your weight loss success.
7. Use Your Mind to Break the Cycle. The fact is you can do it. It’s all in your mind – the power to lose the weight rests with you. Believe you can succeed and you will succeed. If you want to put an end to the psychological cycle of weight gain, start by turning all of your negative self-talk into positive affirmations. That’s the best way to break the cycle.
The experts at 101 Medical Weight Loss remind you to keep your goal in mind at all times. Write down positive affirmations and put up visual reminders of what you want to attain. Keep a good mind set, stay active and prepare healthy menus to help aid weight loss.
For more information please visit http://www.101medicalweightloss.com/
About 101 Medical Weight Loss:
For more than a decade, The Center for Medical Weight Loss has been helping people to shed unwanted pounds through physician-guided programs. The company is known throughout the San Fernando Valley area for uniquely meeting the needs of patients through personalized plans. 101 Medical Weight Loss operates on the belief that safe weight loss results from healthy food and lifestyle choices, but provides the option of a safe appetite suppressant prescription when necessary. To discover what The Center for Medical Weight Loss can do for you, visit 101 Medical Weight Loss.com
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/6/prweb10833935.htm.
Copyright©2012 Vocus, Inc.
All rights reserved