Amsterdam, 12 August 2009 Elsevier, the world-leading publisher of scientific, technical and medical information products and services, today announces the recipients of this year's International Brain Mapping and Intraoperative Surgical Planning Society awards. The six awards will be presented at the 6th Annual World Congress for Brain Mapping and Image Guided Therapy, August 26-29, 2009 at Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA, organized by Elsevier and the IBMISPS.
The following awards will be presented:
The Beacon Award for Courage and Dedication is awarded for courage and dedication in increasing awareness about neurological diseases. Presented this year to:
- Mr. Bob Woodruff, ABC news reporter and co-founder of the Bob Woodruff Foundation, was seriously injured in an explosion from an improvised explosive device near Taji, Iraq, while covering the Iraq War. The Bob Woodruff Foundation provides resources and support to service members, veterans and their families to successfully reintegrate into their communities so they may thrive physically, psychologically, socially and economically.
- Sergeant Major Colin R. Rich (retired) is a highly decorated and trained senior enlisted soldier (Special Forces/ Ranger) with multiple deployments to "hot" spots throughout his career. SGM Rich's combat deployments include Panama, the Gulf War, three tours the Balkans, two tours in Afghanistan and one tour in Iraq. He was part of 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment serving in Afghanistan when he was shot in the head and severely injured.
Pioneer in Medicine is awarded for excellence in research, discovery, education and pioneering work in the field of medicine and image guided therapy. Presented this year to:
- Peter M. Black, MD, PhD, Franc D. Ingraham Professor of neurosurgery, Founding Chair, Dept. of Neurology, Brigham and Women's Hospital Franc D. Ingraham, Harvard Medical School Boston, MA, USA
- Keith L. Black, MD, Chairman, Dept. of Neurosurgery, Director, Maxine Dunitz Neurosurgery Institute, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, USA
Pioneer in Healthcare Policy is presented to lawmakers who have demonstrated visionary and cross-disciplinary approaches to introducing laws that have contributed to the advancement of science, technology, education, and medicine. Presented this year to:
- Senator John Kerry, his support for medical research and his tireless efforts in healthcare reform
Pioneer in Technology is awarded to companies and their CEOs for excellence in technology transfer and development. Presented this year to:
- Mr. William A. Hawkins, Chairman and CEO of Medtronic, USA
Young Investigator Award is presented to senior graduate students, post doctorate fellow or junior faculty for their pioneering work in the areas of basic neuroscience. Presented this year to:
- Vicky Yamamoto for her work on stem cells
Student Research Award is presented to students for contributing to the establishment of the IBMISPS-UCLA student chapter and demonstrating leadership and deep interest in neuroscience research. Presented this year to:
- Josh Neman and Amir Goodarzi for establishing the UCLA student chapter and creating a multi-disciplinary research forum for UCLA undergraduate, graduate and professional students
"On behalf of the IBMISPS members and board of directors I congratulate the award recipients: SGM Colin Rich and Mr. Bob Woodruff who are true national heroes and the honorable Senator Kerry, Drs. Peter Black and Keith Black as well as President Hawkins", commented Babak Kateb, Founding Chairman of IBMISPS. Dr. David Moore, Deputy Director of Defense Veteran Brain Injury Center (DVBIC) said "DVBIC was pleased to participate in selecting Colin, who is one of the finest and highly decorated veterans of the US Armed forces".
Mr. Bob Woodruff also congratulated all other award recipients and added "The Brain Mapping Foundation is doing incredible work and making great strides in the treatment and research of brain injuries. I am honored to be one of the recipients of the Beacon Award and commend and support the efforts of IBMISPS."
Related medicine news :1
. Best-selling Author Lee Woodruff, Futurist Ian Morrison to Speak at URACs Best Practices Conference2
. Colin Powell Applauds Lions for Leadership in Volunteerism as Interest in Volunteer Service Grows3
. Brain Imaging Study Confirms Cognizin(R) Citicoline Boosts Mental Function; to be Presented at International Society of Sports Nutrition Annual Conference4
. Kyowa Hakko USA Announces GRAS Self-Affirmation for Novel Brain Health Ingredient Cognizin(R) Citicoline5
. Las Colinas FREE Community Health Fair Benefiting the Shoh-Sohail Family of Irving6
. General Colin Powell Speaks Out for Prostate Cancer Prevention7
. U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown to Lend Support at MedWorks Free Medical Clinic This Weekend8
. Senators Baucus and Grassley Statement Regarding Physician Hospitals Despicable9
. National Medical Association Applauds President Obamas and Senator Baucuss Efforts to Work With PhRMA to Bring Down Health Care Costs and Advance Meaningful Reforms10
. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Applaud Senator Mary Landrieu (D-LA) For Introducing Legislation to Require Insurance Coverage for Children With Congenital Deformities11
. NCBAs Statement in Response to Senator Conrads Proposal to Reform Health Care