Last February, about 175 community members, teachers and personnel turned out in support of the blood drive held for 7-year old Heather McNamara, who was diagnosed in 2005 with an abnormal inflammatory myfroblastic tumor that had cut off circulation to her major organs. Heather was the first child in the world to undergo multi-organ transplant surgery, and returned to school for the first time this week after a seven month recovery.
"She loves it," said Tina McNamara, Heather's mother. "She absolutely loves school, and her class."
Prior to her surgery, Heather had received oral and intravenous chemotherapy, after which blood transfusions were required to maintain her blood and platelet count. Family members say Heather needed an additional eight pints of blood during her 23-hour operation.
Congratulations to Heather for her remarkable recovery, and to all school districts and communities that organize blood drives in support New York Blood Center's mission to help save lives.
To donate blood, please call: Toll Free: 1-800-933-2566 Visit: www.nybloodcenter.org
Any company, community organization, place of worship, or individual may host a blood drive. NYBC also offers special community service scholarships for students who organize community blood drives during the winter holiday and summer periods. Blood donors receive free mini-medical exams on site including information about their temperature, pulse rate, blood pressure and hemoglobin level. Eligible donors include those people at least age 16 (with parental permission or consent), who weigh a minimum of 110 pounds, are in good health and meet all Food & Drug Administration and NY or NJ State Department of Health donor criteria. People age 76 and over may donate with a doctor's note.
About New York
SOURCE New York Blood Center
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine news :
1. Specific antagonism lowers blood pressure
2. Restricting Blood Flow May Help Heart Bypass Patients
3. FDA Updates Prescription Guidelines for Blood Thinner
4. Doctors Often Miss High Blood Pressure in Kids
5. Back to School Means Return of School Blood Drives
6. Blood-flow detector software show promise in preventing brain damage
7. FDA Approves New Roche West Nile Virus Blood Screening Test
8. Australian-led international study shows blood pressure drugs cut death rate in type 2 diabetes
9. Laser blasts viruses in blood
10. Study Demonstrates Marteks Algal DHA Oil Improves Blood Triglyceride Lipid Levels
11. LifeMasters Provides Tips for Maintaining a Healthy Blood Cholesterol Level