EMERYVILLE, Calif., March 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Bionovo, Inc. (Nasdaq: BNVI), a drug discovery and development company focused on the unmet needs in women's health and oncology, today announced that Isaac Cohen, Chairman and CEO of Bionovo, will be presenting at the Wall Street Analyst Forum's 20th Annual Institutional Investor Conference at 9:50 a.m. EDT on March 25, 2009. The event will be held at the University Club in New York City.
Analysts and portfolio managers can access a live webcast of the presentation by visiting www.analyst-conference.com and clicking on the analyst/pm registration tab. A replay will be available for 30 days following the conference.
Bionovo is on the leading-edge of developing a new class of drugs that address important conditions in women's health relating to menopausal issues and breast cancer. Bionovo has a number of drug candidates in various clinical trial stages, which the Company believes have significant future market opportunities.
Some of the recent key developments for Bionovo's drug candidates include:
- An independent physician survey shows strong evidence that, if approved, Menerba(TM) (MF101) could become first-line treatment for menopausal symptoms. This suggests that Menerba could take a leading position in a multi-billion dollar market.
- Bionovo announced that it has developed a novel analytical 2-dimensional liquid chromatography mass spectrometry-based (LC/LC-MS/MS) multiplexing platform that allows for the rapid, specific, sensitive automated quantification of the active pharmaceutical compounds of Menerba. If applied to botanical drug product production, this technique should facilitate exquisite batch-to-batch consistency and control of the final drug product.
- Multiple papers were presented to the Endocrine Society indicating that estrogen receptor beta may have a role in cancer prevention - suggesting that Menerba may have an ultimate role in cancer treatment beyond its current proposed indication for menopausal hot flashes.
- Also presented at the Endocrine Society was a study describing the development of a neural model for thermoregulation in the brain, providing more specific scientific support for Menerba's mechanism of action and efficacy potential.
- Bionovo announced that further analysis of the data from its successfully completed phase 2 study of Menerba showed that Menerba was able to reduce "night awakenings" from menopausal hot flashes at a statistically significant level. This sign of efficacy in the most debilitating aspect of hot flashes is further evidence that Menerba may provide an unmatched combination of safety and efficacy in comparison to other treatments being developed or currently on the market.
BZL101 and other Cancer Drug Candidates
- A peer-reviewed study published in the journal Cancer Biology and Treatment, described the powerful and selective mechanism of action for BZL101 in cancer tumors.
- Another study was presented at American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) that detailed the unique mechanisms of action for two other Bionovo drug candidates for the treatment of cancer, BN107 and BN108.
- Results from a second clinical study of BZL101 in advanced breast cancer was presented at ASCO, indicating BZL101's favorable tolerability and safety profile, and exhibiting encouraging signs of positive efficacy.
- Further results from this study were presented to the Society of Integrative Oncology (SIO), where the abstract was the highest scoring abstract.
- Additional studies of BN107 and BN108 were presented at the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, indicating promising signs of potential efficacy for both cancer drug candidates.
- Laboratory studies were presented at the 7th Annual Oxford International Conference on the Science of Botanicals & American Society of Pharmacognosy 4th Interim Meeting, describing the structural elucidation of active estrogen receptor beta selective compounds from VG101, Bionovo's drug candidate for vaginal atrophy. This structural elucidation is key to the development of the drug candidate's mechanism of action and intellectual property protection.
- In vivo safety and efficacy data were presented to the Endocrine Society, indicating VG101 may have superior clinical activity to existing drug products for the treatment of menopausal vaginal dryness.
- This data was further detailed to the North American Menopause Society (NAMS), indicating that VG101 may well provide superior efficacy and safety versus estrogen therapy.
About Bionovo, Inc.
Bionovo, Inc. is a pharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of safe and effective treatments for women's health and cancer, markets with significant unmet needs and billions in potential annual revenue. The company applies its expertise in the biology of menopause and cancer to design new drugs derived from botanical sources which have novel mechanisms of action. Based on the results of early and mid-stage clinical trials, Bionovo believes they have discovered new classes of drug candidates within their rich pipeline with the potential to be leaders in their markets. Bionovo is headquartered in Emeryville, California and is traded on the NASDAQ Capital Market under the symbol, "BNVI". For more information about Bionovo and its programs, visit: http://www.bionovo.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This release contains certain forward-looking statements relating to the business of Bionovo, Inc. that can be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology such as "believes," "expects," or similar expressions. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties, including uncertainties relating to product development, efficacy and safety, regulatory actions or delays, the ability to obtain or maintain patent or other proprietary intellectual property protection, market acceptance, physician acceptance, third party reimbursement, future capital requirements, competition in general and other factors that may cause actual results to be materially different from those described herein as anticipated, believed, estimated or expected. Certain of these risks and uncertainties are or will be described in greater detail in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which are available at http://www.sec.gov. Bionovo, Inc. is under no obligation (and expressly disclaims any such obligation) to update or alter its forward-looking statements whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Joe Diaz, Robert Blum
Lytham Partners, LLC
Related medicine news :1
. Bionovo Announces Closing of Public Offering of Common Stock2
. Bionovo Describes a New Class of Therapeutic Compounds3
. Bionovo Announces 2007 Financial Results and Highlights4
. Bionovo to Present at the Cambria Capital Investor Meeting5
. John D. Baxter, M.D. Joins Bionovos Board of Directors6
. Bionovo to Present at the Rodman & Renshaw 10th Annual Global Investment Conference7
. Bionovo to Present Recent Findings of BN108, its Anticancer Agent, at the 31st Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium8
. Willa A. Hsueh, M.D., Joins Bionovos Scientific Advisory Board9
. Bionovo Announces Cost Control Measures Taken10
. Bionovo Announces Presentation at the National Cancer Institute11
. Jan Ake Gustafsson, M.D., Ph.D., Joins Bionovos Scientific Advisory Board