Navigation Links
BBQ Danger: Wires From Grill Cleaners Swallowed in Food
Date:4/3/2012

By Randy Dotinga
HealthDay Reporter

TUESDAY, April 3 (HealthDay News) -- Several Rhode Island residents had a brush with the emergency room because of sharp wire bristles that made their way from barbecue grills into their digestive tracts.

The wire bristles, which came from the metallic brushes used to clean grills, apparently ended up in barbecued beef or chicken that the patients ate, a new report said. From there, the bristles went to their throats and stomachs and caused serious medical issues.

Emergency physicians elsewhere said they'd never seen this happen. So might the nation's smallest state be the home to its biggest problem with renegade grill-cleaner bristles? Report lead author Dr. David Grand isn't so sure.

"Certainly, we all love to grill, though I can't say for certain that Rhode Islanders grill anymore than other Americans. More likely, once we became aware of this problem we began looking for it, and if we don't specifically look for this we will not find it," said Grand, a radiologist at Rhode Island Hospital in Providence.

Within an 18-month period from 2009 to 2010, six patients appeared at the hospital with symptoms of abdominal pain or painful swallowing. The patients -- aged 11 to 75 and including five females -- didn't know the cause, although they'd all eaten grilled meats within the last two to 24 hours.

Scans or x-rays revealed metallic bristles in their necks or lower in their digestive systems. The bristles caused serious problems in some cases; for instance, a bristle perforated the stomach and liver of one patient who had to stay in the hospital for six days.

"Treatment for these patients involves removal of the wire," Grand said. "If the wire is lodged in the mouth or throat, this may be accomplished by an ear, nose and throat doctor or gastroenterologist who can use a small scope to find and remove the wire. If, however, the wire has perforated the intestine at the time of presentation, surgery with removal of the affected bowel segment will usually be required."

In each case, the patients had eaten food grilled on a barbecue that had been cleaned just before cooking. It seems that the bristles fell off the brushes, landed on the grill and ended up in the food. "All of the patients in our [group] ate meat -- either beef or chicken," Grand said. "It is unclear if they simply were not grilling their vegetables, weren't eating vegetables or if the bristles don't stick as easily to vegetables placed on the grill."

Emergency physicians said they're familiar with a variety of ingested foreign objects in patients, but not this particular one. Toothpicks may be the closest thing, said Dr. Michael Lanigan, an attending physician in emergency medicine at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in New York City. Sharp objects, he said, can cause perforations anywhere in the digestive tract.

What should you do to prevent bristles from getting into your food when you grill?

"When my pop had a charcoal grill, he'd do a good rinse to get off the residue," Lanigan said. You can rinse the cooking grates in the sink or with a hose "and make sure you didn't leave anything on there," he said.

Grand, the report author, has his own cleaning method. "Anecdotally, although I have no scientific proof that this works, I now wipe my grill with a wet paper towel after using a brush, hoping to remove any dislodged bristles," said Grand.

The report appears online and in the April print issue of the American Journal of Roentgenology.

More information

For more about grill safety, see the U.S. National Fire Protection Association.

SOURCES: David Grand, M.D., radiologist, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence; Michael Lanigan, M.D., attending physician in emergency medicine, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, New York City; April 2012 American Journal of Roentgenology


'/>"/>
Copyright©2010 ScoutNews,LLC.
All rights reserved

Related medicine news :

1. Two-Day Dialysis Interval Could Pose Danger: Study
2. Sleeping through danger: the dormouse approach to survival
3. Lasers Safe for Removal of Pacemaker Wires in Elderly: Study
4. Culture wires the brain: A cognitive neuroscience perspective
5. Rhode Island Hospital study identifies the danger of grill brushes
6. Dads Can Light Their Grills Without Fear
7. In Time for July 4th Grilling, Bill the Butcher Opens 5th Butcher Shop
8. Chef Charles Phillips of Nashville's 1808 Grille, Teams up with National Foundation for Cancer Research, Offering Gourmet Healthy Living Options
9. Memorial Day Grilling: "How-to" Secrets and Tips from Barbecue Champ Troy Black and Sam's Club For The Perfect Memorial Day Cookout
10. Some Spices Cut Cancer Risk That Comes With Grilled Burgers
11. Grill it up! Give Spring some Sizzle with Sam's Club
Post Your Comments:
*Name:
*Comment:
*Email:
(Date:5/26/2016)... ... 26, 2016 , ... MadgeTech will be showcasing its line of data ... Hampshire at the MadgeTech headquarters. With products sold in more than 100 countries around ... including NASA. , In 2012, NASA strategically set up 17 RHTemp101A MadgeTech ...
(Date:5/26/2016)... (PRWEB) , ... May 26, 2016 , ... ... Retinal Degeneration” for the Foundation Fighting Blindness, Long Island Chapter on June 4, ... the public. , Dr. Maisel, founder of Retina Group of New York ...
(Date:5/26/2016)... ... ... to provide hair restoration information to the widest possible audience, Dr. Parsa Mohebi is making ... app. Dr. Mohebi, the founder of Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration, is making all of his ... says, “The positive response to the Snapchat videos we started last month has been overwhelming. ...
(Date:5/26/2016)... (PRWEB) , ... May 26, 2016 , ... ... of healthcare supply chain solutions, today announced the organization has earned its ISO ... international standards and is compliant with all rules and policies associated with ISO ...
(Date:5/26/2016)... Tampa, Fla. (PRWEB) , ... May 26, 2016 , ... ... Center (AHEC) to host a six-week smoking cessation class starting June 6 at their ... AHEC’s website, http://www.gnahec.org . , Additionally, the Lung Institute has created a free ...
Breaking Medicine News(10 mins):
(Date:5/24/2016)... LAWRENCE, Mass. , May 24, 2016  NxStage ... medical technology company focused on advancing renal care, today ... Officer, plans to participate in the following schedule of ... will be made available at http://ir.nxstage.com/ . ... Jefferies Healthcare Conference NY, NY           Friday, ...
(Date:5/24/2016)... , May 24, 2016  Joe Marziani has joined VMS BioMarketing as senior ... executive officer, today. In his new role, Marziani will lead the company,s business development ... professionals to improve outcomes. Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160523/371089 ... ... ...
(Date:5/24/2016)... 2016 Los innovadores de ... mundo, introduce catéteres para la intervención de extremidades ... compañía global especializada en el suministro de soluciones ... cartera incluyendo productos para tratar la enfermedad arterial ... son los dispositivos de primera entrada de la ...
Breaking Medicine Technology: