Navigation Links
BBQ Danger: Wires From Grill Cleaners Swallowed in Food
Date:4/3/2012

By Randy Dotinga
HealthDay Reporter

TUESDAY, April 3 (HealthDay News) -- Several Rhode Island residents had a brush with the emergency room because of sharp wire bristles that made their way from barbecue grills into their digestive tracts.

The wire bristles, which came from the metallic brushes used to clean grills, apparently ended up in barbecued beef or chicken that the patients ate, a new report said. From there, the bristles went to their throats and stomachs and caused serious medical issues.

Emergency physicians elsewhere said they'd never seen this happen. So might the nation's smallest state be the home to its biggest problem with renegade grill-cleaner bristles? Report lead author Dr. David Grand isn't so sure.

"Certainly, we all love to grill, though I can't say for certain that Rhode Islanders grill anymore than other Americans. More likely, once we became aware of this problem we began looking for it, and if we don't specifically look for this we will not find it," said Grand, a radiologist at Rhode Island Hospital in Providence.

Within an 18-month period from 2009 to 2010, six patients appeared at the hospital with symptoms of abdominal pain or painful swallowing. The patients -- aged 11 to 75 and including five females -- didn't know the cause, although they'd all eaten grilled meats within the last two to 24 hours.

Scans or x-rays revealed metallic bristles in their necks or lower in their digestive systems. The bristles caused serious problems in some cases; for instance, a bristle perforated the stomach and liver of one patient who had to stay in the hospital for six days.

"Treatment for these patients involves removal of the wire," Grand said. "If the wire is lodged in the mouth or throat, this may be accomplished by an ear, nose and throat doctor or gastroenterologist who can use a small scope to find and remove the wire. If, however, the wire has perforated the intestine at the time of presentation, surgery with removal of the affected bowel segment will usually be required."

In each case, the patients had eaten food grilled on a barbecue that had been cleaned just before cooking. It seems that the bristles fell off the brushes, landed on the grill and ended up in the food. "All of the patients in our [group] ate meat -- either beef or chicken," Grand said. "It is unclear if they simply were not grilling their vegetables, weren't eating vegetables or if the bristles don't stick as easily to vegetables placed on the grill."

Emergency physicians said they're familiar with a variety of ingested foreign objects in patients, but not this particular one. Toothpicks may be the closest thing, said Dr. Michael Lanigan, an attending physician in emergency medicine at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in New York City. Sharp objects, he said, can cause perforations anywhere in the digestive tract.

What should you do to prevent bristles from getting into your food when you grill?

"When my pop had a charcoal grill, he'd do a good rinse to get off the residue," Lanigan said. You can rinse the cooking grates in the sink or with a hose "and make sure you didn't leave anything on there," he said.

Grand, the report author, has his own cleaning method. "Anecdotally, although I have no scientific proof that this works, I now wipe my grill with a wet paper towel after using a brush, hoping to remove any dislodged bristles," said Grand.

The report appears online and in the April print issue of the American Journal of Roentgenology.

More information

For more about grill safety, see the U.S. National Fire Protection Association.

SOURCES: David Grand, M.D., radiologist, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence; Michael Lanigan, M.D., attending physician in emergency medicine, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, New York City; April 2012 American Journal of Roentgenology


'/>"/>
Copyright©2010 ScoutNews,LLC.
All rights reserved

Related medicine news :

1. Two-Day Dialysis Interval Could Pose Danger: Study
2. Sleeping through danger: the dormouse approach to survival
3. Lasers Safe for Removal of Pacemaker Wires in Elderly: Study
4. Culture wires the brain: A cognitive neuroscience perspective
5. Rhode Island Hospital study identifies the danger of grill brushes
6. Dads Can Light Their Grills Without Fear
7. In Time for July 4th Grilling, Bill the Butcher Opens 5th Butcher Shop
8. Chef Charles Phillips of Nashville's 1808 Grille, Teams up with National Foundation for Cancer Research, Offering Gourmet Healthy Living Options
9. Memorial Day Grilling: "How-to" Secrets and Tips from Barbecue Champ Troy Black and Sam's Club For The Perfect Memorial Day Cookout
10. Some Spices Cut Cancer Risk That Comes With Grilled Burgers
11. Grill it up! Give Spring some Sizzle with Sam's Club
Post Your Comments:
*Name:
*Comment:
*Email:
(Date:10/13/2017)... Worth, TX (PRWEB) , ... October 13, 2017 ... ... financial planning agency serving communities in the greater Dallas, Miami, and Raleigh regions, ... young boy fighting to overcome a rare and deadly chromosome abnormality. , After ...
(Date:10/13/2017)... PITTSBURGH, Pa. (PRWEB) , ... October 13, 2017 , ... ... the dark poses a problem. Fortunately, an inventor from Austin, Texas, has identified a ... access to medication in darkness or restricted lighting. As such, it eliminates the need ...
(Date:10/13/2017)... , ... October 13, 2017 , ... PurhealthRX , ... Oil utilizing Purzorb™ technology. Applying the Purzorb™process to full spectrum CBD oil will revolutionize ... providing a CBD form that can be easily incorporated into liquid products, while reducing ...
(Date:10/13/2017)... ... October 13, 2017 , ... Apple Rehab Shelton Lakes , which specializes ... of the facility as part of a disaster drill on October 3rd. , Apple ... Shelton City Emergency Manager, as well as the Connecticut Long Term Care Mutual ...
(Date:10/13/2017)... ... October 13, 2017 , ... Ellevate Network, the leading network ... advocate for action towards gender equality at their inaugural Summit in New York City ... and reached a social audience of over 3 million. To watch the Mobilize Women ...
Breaking Medicine News(10 mins):
(Date:10/12/2017)... EXTON, Pa. , Oct. 12, 2017 ... global leader in innovative solutions for injectable drug administration, ... results before the market opens on Thursday, October 26, ... discuss the results and business expectations at 9:00 a.m. ... 877-930-8295 (U.S.) or 253-336-8738 (International). The conference ID is ...
(Date:10/10/2017)... received FDA 510(k) clearance in May 2017 for its highly anticipated ... for endoscopy environments. An innovative secondary monitor solution, ZeroWire Mobile ... the improvement of patient outcomes, procedural efficiency, and the lowering of ... ... By ...
(Date:10/4/2017)... Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), influenza vaccination should take ... communities across Massachusetts , Connecticut , ... through the end of the month. *Some exclusions apply ... ... by the end of October, according to the Centers for Disease Control ...
Breaking Medicine Technology: