The California Poison Control System Warns that Snake Bites are Becoming More Powerful and Patient Reactions Have Increased
SAN FRANCISCO, May 5 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The change in weather marks a change in rattlesnake behavior as well. Snakes live all over California and while most are not poisonous, the rattlesnake is. In humans, a rattlesnake bite can produce swelling and bruising and can sometimes be fatal.
"Over the past couple of years we have seen an increase in powerful snake bites and that patient reactions to the bites have become more severe," said Richard F. Clark, MD, Medical Director for the CPCS and Director of the Division of Medical Toxicology at the
To protect against rattlesnake bites, the CPCS provides the following tips:
If bitten, symptoms of a severe bite include:
If bitten by a rattlesnake immediate medical treatment is critical, the CPCS provides the following tips:
Each year almost 300 snake bites are reported to the California Poison Control System alone. The California Poison Control System (CPCS) is available at www.calpoison.org or by calling 1-800-222-1222, 24 hours a day, seven days a week for immediate expert help and information in case of poison exposure.
The California Poison Control System at 1-800-222-1222 has trained and certified pharmacists, nurses and Poison Information Providers to quickly help you 24/7. The service is free and confidential, and interpreters for over 100 languages are always available.
The CPCS has four Divisions located at - UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, San Francisco General Hospital in San Francisco, Children's Hospital Central California in Fresno/Madera and the UC San Diego Medical Center in San Diego. The CPCS is part of the
|SOURCE California Poison Control System|
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved