SAN DIEGO, Oct. 4 /PRNewswire/ As the festive holiday season is approaching, many Americans find it stressful to keep up with often-unrealistic demands and expectations of family, friends and events. The solution to an enjoyable celebration is to relax and take good care of ourselves, which in turn will increase energy and reduce stress levels. To keep happy and safe this season, ACE offers 10 tips for surviving the holidays.
1. Take time for yourself. Although spending time with friends and family
is essential, it's also important to set aside at least five minutes
for yourself to relax. Try practicing deep breathing exercises when
you feel stressed out.
2. Don't set unrealistic exercise goals. Aim to exercise 30 minutes a day
instead of an hour. You'll be sure to get at least 30 minutes of
physical activity per day without feeling disappointed if you do not
complete an hour.
3. Enlist a friend or family member to exercise with you. Walking and
talking with a friend can be a great way to burn extra calories and
reduce your stress level.
4. Create new, more active traditions. Instead of throwing a dessert or
cocktail party, try snowshoeing or ice-skating as an alternate holiday
event. Play touch football or build a snowman.
5. Don't try to lose weight or stick to a restrictive diet this holiday
season. If you enjoy your favorite foods in small portions, you'll
feel more satisfied. Trying to stay away from certain foods may leave
you feeling deprived, which may cause you to eat more than you
6. Drink plenty of water. Although the cold weather may make you less
inclined to grab a glass of water, it is just as important in the
winter as it is during the summer. Water helps counter the dehydrating
effects of travel or drinking alcoholic beverage
|SOURCE American Council on Exercise|
Copyright©2007 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved