- Worldwide Sales Growth of 13.8 Percent -
- Worldwide Pharmaceutical Sales Increased 14.3 Percent -
- Worldwide Medical Products Sales Increased 13.7 Percent -
- Five New Product Approvals in the First Quarter -
ABBOTT PARK, Ill., April 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Abbott (NYSE:
ABT) today announced financial results for the first quarter ended March
* Diluted earnings per share, excluding specified items, were
$0.63, reflecting 14.5 percent growth, at the upper end of Abbott's
previously announced guidance range of $0.61 to $0.63. Diluted
earnings per share under Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
(GAAP) were $0.60, up 33.3 percent.
* Worldwide sales in the first quarter increased 13.8 percent to
$6.8 billion, including a favorable 5.5 percent effect of exchange
* Worldwide pharmaceutical sales increased 14.3 percent driven by
double-digit growth in HUMIRA(R), Niaspan(R) and Kaletra(R) and
9.8 percent growth in TriCor(R). Abbott forecasts global HUMIRA
sales of more than $4 billion in 2008.
* Worldwide medical products sales increased 13.7 percent, driven by
14.3 percent growth in worldwide Diabetes Care sales, 22.0 percent
growth in international diagnostics sales, and 34.7 percent growth
in international Vascular sales.
* Worldwide nutritional products sales were led by 20.8 percent growth
in international nutritionals, with continued strong performance in
key emerging growth markets.
* In March, Abbott and Takeda announced an agreement to conclude the
TAP joint venture, evenly splitting the assets. Abbott will receive
full U.S. ownership of Lupron, a complementary product to Abbott's
emerging oncology pipeline,
Copyright©2008 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved