The American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) is pleased to announce the recipients of several Annual Meeting awards. Recipients will receive their honors during ASTRO's 52nd Annual Meeting in San Diego, being held October 31-November 4, 2010.
"It is my pleasure to congratulate each of these talented individuals whose science will be honored this year," Anthony L. Zietman, M.D., ASTRO president and a radiation oncologist at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, said. "The high quality of the research submitted for this year's Annual Meeting has raised the bar for future Annual Meetings. It is a privilege to recognize these researchers for their impressive work."
The Resident Clinical/Basic Science Research Award is designed to promote clinical research by young scientists. It is granted to the top three resident-authors of significant abstracts in physics, biology and clinical practice.
Resident Clinical/Basic Science Research Award
- Russell K. Hales, M.D., Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, (Clinical).
- Ruijiang Li, Ph.D., University of California, San Diego, (Radiation Physics).
- Amar Rewari, M.D., M.B.A., UMDNJ-Cancer Institute of New Jersey, New Brunswick, N.J., (Radiation and Cancer Biology).
The Resident Poster Viewing Award recognizes the top resident poster presentations in each of the poster categories clinical, radiation and cancer biology and radiation physics.
Resident Poster Viewing Clinical
- Alvin Cabrera, M.D., Duke University, Durham, N.C.
- Hiromitsu Iwata, M.D., Nagoya City University, Nagoya, Japan.
- Alexander Louie, M.D., University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada.
Resident Poster Viewing Radiation and Cancer Biology
- Raquibul Hannan, M.D., Ph.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine, East Meadow, N.Y.
- Qifeng Wang, M.D., Bejing, China.
- Jian-Dong Zhang, M.D., Shandong University, Jinan, China.
Resident Poster Viewing Radiation Physics
- Zhengdong Zhang, Ph.D., Cockeysville, Md.
- Xiaoming Chen, Ph.D., University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio.
- Shinichiro Mori, Ph.D., Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston.
The Resident Digital Poster Discussion Award is given to the top three abstracts in clinical, radiation physics, and radiation and cancer biology.
Resident Digital Poster Discussion
- Robert B. Den, M.D., Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, (Clinical).
- David Y. Lee, M.D., Ph.D., William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oaks, Mich., (Radiation Physics).
- William M. Rockey, M.D., Ph.D., University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa, (Radiation and Cancer Biology).
The Basic Science Abstract Award is designed to encourage participation in the ASTRO Annual Meeting by basic scientists with an accepted abstract in either the biology or physics category.
Basic Science Scientific Abstract Award
- Louis Archambault, Ph.D., Centre Hospitalier, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada.
- Geoffrey Hugo, Ph.D., Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Va.
- Lei Ren, Ph.D., Henry Ford Health System, Madison Heights, Mich.
- Zhuang Andrew Wang, M.D., University of North Carolina Hospital, Chapel Hill, N.C.
- Shih-Hsin Eddy Yang, M.D., Ph.D., University of Alabama, Birmingham, Ala.
- Jennifer Yu, M.D., Ph.D., University of California, San Francisco.
Annual Meeting Scientific Abstract Awards are given to researchers with accepted abstracts who meet certain criteria.
Annual Meeting Scientific Abstract Award
- Ranjit Bindra, M.D., Ph.D., Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York.
- Catherine Coolens, Ph.D., Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Ildiko Csiki, M.D., Ph.D., Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn.
- Corinne Doll, M.D., Tom Baker Cancer Institute, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- Kathryn Graham, B.Sc., M.B., Ch.B., Beatson West of Scotland Cancer Centre, Glasgow, Scotland.
- Douglas Housman, M.D., Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York.
- Sarah Kerns, M.D., Ph.D., New York University, New York.
- David Miyamoto, M.D., Ph.D., Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston.
- Drew Moghanaki, M.D., Virginia Commonwealth University, Petersburg, Va.
- Scott Morgan, M.D., University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Bhupesh Parashar, M.D., Stich Radiation Center, Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York.
- Anand Swaminath, M.D., Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Phuoc Tran, M.D., Ph.D., Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore.
- Shuanghu Yuan, M.D., Ph.D., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Gelareh Zadeh, M.D., Ph.D., University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Related medicine news :1
. ASTRO publishes whole breast irradiation guidelines2
. ASTRO names radiologist, ABR president Societys 2010 Honorary Member3
. 5 awarded ASTRO research grants4
. ASTRO announces 2010 Fellows class5
. Optimal surgical procedure for duodenal gastrointestinal stromal tumors6
. What affects the gastrointestinal symptoms in peritoneal dialysis patients?7
. ASTRO applauds MedPAC review of Stark law exception8
. ASTRO participates in FDA meeting on radiation safety9
. Florida radiation council endorses ASTRO patient protection plan10
. ASTRO patient education program recognized by AAA Awards11
. Gulf Oil Spill Goes from Disaster to Catastrophe