BOCA RATON, Fla., Feb. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nearly one in four women in the United States reports experiencing violence by a current or former spouse or boyfriend at some point in her life. Another startling statistic is that the Canadian Red Cross reports that at least 1 in 5 Canadian teens experience dating violence.
As people get ready to celebrate this Valentine's Day, it is important to take time to ensure your personal safety and to make sure the people you love are also safe.
Ann Lindstrom of ADT Security Services said, "Whether you are spending this Valentine's Day with a longtime love or a new date, personal safety should always be your primary concern. These personal safety tips are a good reminder to always be aware and protect yourself."
- Have a safe first date by planning ahead. If you decide on an in-person meeting with someone you meet online, arrange to have your first date in a public place or consider going as part of a group or double-date. Also share your plans with a friend, parent or other family member.
- Plan for safety and security in your home. Personal safety begins at home. If you ever feel unsafe or threatened by anyone, notify police immediately. Consider installing a monitored home alarm system to help control access to your home. If you already have an alarm, make sure to use it when you are home or away. Most home alarm systems include a hold-up alarm or panic button feature that can be used to summon authorities in the event of an emergency.
- If you drink on a date, do so responsibly. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that approximately 73 percent of female rape victims know their attacker. Alcohol often plays a major role in rape victimizations, so if you drink, drink responsibly and always keep an eye on your drink to make sure no one adds anything to it.
- Prepare a backup plan for safety. If your Valentine's Day date plans on driving you, take time to make sure you have extra money on hand and the phone number for a taxi in your area. Make sure you have phone numbers for friends or family members who could pick you up if your date does not go as planned.
- Be alert and aware if you go home alone. If you leave a restaurant or bar alone, be alert on your way home and aware of your surroundings at all times. If you suspect someone is following you on foot or by car, go immediately to the first open business or police station to get help.
Lindstrom said "Personal safety means being able to live without the fear or threat of violence. As individuals, there are some simple steps we can take this Valentine's Day to safeguard our personal security and reduce the likelihood of being a victim of crime."
About ADT Security Services:
ADT Security Services is a unit of Tyco International and part of ADT Worldwide, the world's largest electronic security provider. In North America, ADT provides electronic security services to nearly five million commercial, government and residential customers. ADT's total security solutions include intrusion, fire protection, video systems, access control, critical condition monitoring, home health services, electronic article surveillance, radio frequency identification (RFID) and integrated systems. ADT's government and commercial customers include a majority of the nation's Fortune 500 companies, all U.S. federal courthouses and over 70 mid to large airports. Headquartered in Boca Raton, Florida, ADT has more than 24,000 employees at approximately 240 locations in the U.S. and Canada. More ADT information is at http://www.adt.com.
SOURCE ADT Security Services
RELATED LINKSRelated medicine news :1
. More proof needed of safety and quality of electronic personal health records2
. Back to School Means Backpack Safety3
. Seniors Need a Safety Plan in Face of Disasters4
. New Survey Shows Americans are Still Concerned About Food Safety, Yet Still Not Smart About What They Like to Eat5
. National Patient Safety Foundation Partners with Vocera Communications6
. QI projects may -- or may not -- improve patient safety and outcomes7
. The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, Wal-Mart, and Abbott Host Child Safety Events8
. Cutting Salt Wont Affect Foods Safety9
. Microsoft Helps Developers of Clinical User Interfaces Improve Efficiency, Patient Safety With Free Toolkit10
. The Risk Management and Patient Safety Institute Announces Annual Health Care Risk Conference Dates11
. Blue Cross and Blue Shield Initiatives Recognized for Increasing Patient Safety and Efficiency