Honoring excellence in the implementation of electronic health records (EHRs), the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) announces the recipients of the 2008 Davies Awards in the Organizational, Ambulatory and Community Health Organization categories.
Chicago, IL (PRWEB) October 10, 2008 -- Honoring excellence in the implementation of electronic health records (EHRs), the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) announces the recipients of the 2008 Davies Awards in the Organizational, Ambulatory and Community Health Organization categories. The 2008 Davies Public Health Award recipients, announced Aug. 27, were Cherokee (NC) Indian Hospital Authority and the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services in Trenton.
Since 1994, the HIMSS Nicholas E. Davies Awards of Excellence Program honors achievement in the implementation and use of health information technology, specifically electronic health records, for healthcare organizations, private practices, public health entities, and community health organizations. The Davies Award is based on an evaluation framework that involves a two-step process, an introspective self-assessment and an on-location site visit. Modeled after the Baldrige Award, this process is a valuable tool for planning and feedback of an EHR implementation. Award recipients often leverage their award status for additional funding and career growth.
Organizational: In 2008, one healthcare organization received the Davies Award in this category.
"The Davies Organizational Award Committee and HIMSS congratulate the leadership and employees of Eastern Maine Medical Center (EMMC) in winning this year's Davies award," said Brian Jacobs, MD, chair of the HIMSS Davies Award Organizational Committee and chief medical information officer (CMIO), executive director, Center for Pediatric Informatics, at Children's National Medical Center in Washington, D.C. "EMMC represents a shining example of how to implement and utilize the electronic health record along with other technologies in enhancing the delivery of high quality, evidence-based healthcare."
- Eastern Maine Medical Center - EMMC serves communities in central, eastern and northern Maine. An EHR system was implemented as part of EMMC's Patient First Initiatives Program, a tri-fold approach to delivering high quality patient care by transforming care delivery, adopting a patient-focused culture and implementing a technology plan to support the care delivery process. EMMC's use of data derived from its healthcare IT systems is a shining example of how to drive performance improvement, quality and improve care in response to state and national reporting requirements.
Ambulatory: Three medical practices received the HIMSS Ambulatory Davies Award of Excellence demonstrating the value and benefits of the EHR in serving the patient care needs of these diverse patient populations.
"The winners of the 2008 Davies Ambulatory Care Award are exemplary examples of practices that have used technology to improve their patient's care," said Nancy Babbitt, FACMPE, chair of the HIMSS Davies Ambulatory Committee, and administrator, Roswell Pediatric Center, P.C., in the Atlanta area. "Our committee was inspired by the ingenuity of this year's winners that used their 'technology tools' to provide superior service in unique and creative ways. The entire committee is pleased to congratulate Oklahoma Arthritis Center, West Palm Beach Ob-Gyn, and Cardiology of Philadelphia on their accomplishments."
- Palm Beach (Fla.) Obstetrics and Gynecology PA - Serving a predominantly suburban region, the practice had been using a computerized scheduling, billing and collections system. Its EHR system has improved patient care by reducing delays in reviewing labs and radiology reports and making clinical information accessible to providers on nights and weekends, critically important to delivering babies.
- Oklahoma Arthritis Center - Located near Oklahoma City, the center treats patients with arthritis and related conditions such as lupus and osteoporosis. The center supports a "single patient, single record" concept as the best option for patients' health. A goal of its EHR implementation: to prepare for the future integration of a National Health Information Network.
- Cardiology Consultants of Philadelphia, P.C. - CCP has 21 office locations, extending over four counties in southeastern Pennsylvania, and is the second largest cardiology practice in the country. The practice benefited from implementing an EHR system, including improving patient care, reducing filing and transcription costs, reducing malpractice exposure and costs and analyzing individual and group practice patterns, leading to an improved bottom line.
Community Health Organizations (CHO) and Member CHOs: As a new award category in 2008, the HIMSS Davies Community Health Award recognizes care being provided through an open-door policy, predominantly to underserved populations.
"A step beyond getting EHR systems up and running, the first Davies CHO award winners are all achieving powerful results: increased access to care, improved efficiencies/satisfaction, decreased costs, and better population health outcomes. I encourage everyone to read their inspiring stories," said Linda Travis Macomber, RN, BSN, MBA, chair of the HIMSS Davies Community Health Organization Committee, and principal, Healthcare Tech Consulting, San Diego, Calif.
- Columbia Basin Health Association - Comprised of three clinics in central Washington, CBHA provides many services including medical, dental, vision, lab, maternity and behavioral health. A majority of CBHA's patients are migrant/seasonal workers, uninsured and well below the federal poverty level. Implementing an EHR has supported CBHA's philosophy of "If you can measure it, you can manage it."
- White River Rural Health Center - Through its primary care clinics, dental clinics, pharmacies and wellness centers, WRRHC treats a diverse patient population in rural Arkansas. Services include education and prevention programs. Striving to offer a "Total Care" system, WRRHC implemented an EHR; patient information is now integrated across 20-plus sites, resulting in greater continuity of care.
- New York Children's Health Project - NYCHP provides primary care services to homeless, medically underserved and severely disadvantaged children and families. Healthcare teams deliver care throughout NYC via custom-designed mobile medical units and at on-site shelter clinics, and an EHR is tailored to meet the specific needs of its unique patient population.
- Community Health Access Network and Member CHCs - CHAN, a Health Center Controlled Network, supports five member CHCs in New Hampshire providing primary care services, including pediatrics and prenatal. A majority of members also provide dental and behavioral health care. CHAN's EHR system has been a vital tool in improving patient care and outcomes for large patient populations. With the core implementation complete, CHAN has focused on wraparound tools that enhance the capabilities of its EHR. These tools include document scanning, a secure portal to facilitate exchange of information with patients and external providers, integrated support care devices for vitals and EKGs, chart viewing capabilities for hospitalists and emergency department physicians, as well as interfaces with numerous hospitals and independent labs.
to view current and past Davies Award recipient applications.
For more information, contact:
312-915-9237 - jlofstrom @ himss.org
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008_HIMSS/Davies_Awards/prweb1455764.htm
Related medicine news :1
Copyright©2008 Vocus, Inc.
All rights reserved
. Mosaica Partners Kolkman to Chair HIMSS Healthcare Information Exchange Steering Committee2
. HIMSS Summit08 and Advocacy Day3
. Agfa HealthCare, InterComponentWare, and Sun Microsystems Join Open eHealth Foundation at HIMSS084
. Seal Shield Introduces New Silver Seal Washable, Antimicrobial Mouse at HiMSS Healthcare Symposium5
. Aware, Inc. to Demonstrate Groundbreaking Medical Imaging Streaming Solution at HIMSS086
. Greenway Medical Technologies Strengthens Industry Leadership With Participation in the IHE Connectathon and HIMSS Interoperability Showcase7
. Kryptiq and Microsoft to Showcase Unprecedented Connectivity Between Consumers and Their Doctors at HIMSS 088
. Kryptiq Customer Receives HIMSS Nicholas E. Davies Award of Excellence9
. Microsoft to Showcase Innovative Solutions for Healthcare Providers and Consumers at HIMSS 2008 Annual Conference & Exhibition10
. Accenx Technologies Brings Healthcare IT Solutions to HIMSS08 Interoperability Showcase11
. FairWarning to Host Webinar Featuring HIMSS Chairman and Healthcare Executive from PricewaterhouseCoopers on Electronic Health Record Privacy and Compliance Challenges